Public service announcement: Adding apples to coleslaw is revolutionary. The crisp, sweet, crunchy fruit folded in with the cabbage is what dreams are made of, people. If you’ve never tried this before, it is very important that you stop what you are doing right this instant, go to your local grocery store, grab some apples and some other yummy ingredients, and MAKE THIS NOW.
And look at pictures of coleslaw until you return.
Sometimes coleslaw can feel heavy and weighed down because of all the mayo. Which is no bueno. Noooo bueno. Which means “no good!” I think. You’re welcome for the Spanish lesson.
THIS coleslaw, however, is not heavy or weighed down in the slightest. Why? I’m glad you ask. It’s not heavy for several reasons!
- We use sour cream along with the mayo. We use double the amount of sour cream as we do mayo, actually. Why? It makes it brighter, lighter, and a bit tangier.
- Lime juice! Cuts that heavy creaminess.
- Aaaaand most importantly? Apples! These thin, refreshing apple matchsticks literally transform this coleslaw and elevate it to a entirely new level. Just try it…you’ll see what I mean.
On another non coleslaw related note…WHERE HAVE I BEEN THIS ENTIRE PAST WEEK. Ugh…life.
Well, first of all, it was the first week of school…so that’s part of my excuse. The second part of my excuse is that I’ve also had volleyball practice every night after school, so I don’t get home until later. My third (and most valid) excuse is that I’ve been experiencing some pretty serious technical difficulties on my end over here.
My dashboard has been INSANELY slow, making it almost impossible for me to post. The uploading-pictures-into-my-post part is what I’m having the most trouble with. Sigh…
And then last night I came home ready to knock this post out, and guess what I forgot at school? My computer charger. And guess what percent battery my computer had left? 3%. YAY! Anyway….cominatcha a little late this week…BUT I’M SORRY FORGIVE ME AND LOVE ME ANYWAY.
Yay for coleslaw and busy weeks!
- 8 cups of shredded green cabbage (about half a head, depending on the size of your cabbage)
- 4 cups purple cabbage (a little less than half a head, depending on the size of your cabbage)
- 2 gala apples, core removed and apple sliced into thin matchsticks - no need to peel them
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 1 cup sour cream
- ¼ cup fresh squeezed lime juice
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon Lawry's Seasoned Salt
- 2 tablespoons of chopped cilantro
- Mix all ingredients together in (very) large bowl, season to taste with salt and pepper, and let sit in the fridge until you are ready to serve!
If you make this or any of my other recipes, be sure to Instagram it and hashtag #thegarlicdiaries!
In the mood for more yummy sides? Check these out: