YES. This happened. We made some healthy BLT chicken salad and shoved it inside/heaped it on top of an avocado. When I say “we” made, I really just mean me. And Boone, who sat at my feet. And blitz, who kept trying to take bites of the lettuce. She loves her some lettuce. Her true obsession is kale, though. Kale is the cheese to her macaroni. The syrup to her waffles. The BLT chicken salad to her avocados (boom…see what I did there?).
Annnnnway, these stuffed avocados…obbbbssseesseeeddddd. I could seriously eat
one two seven of these every single day for the rest of forever. I love, love, love, love, love them. Who knew chicken salad went so ridiculously well with avocado?? I didn’t, but now that I’ve tried it, the combination seems obvious.
A scoop of avocado + a bite of BLT chicken salad = the perfect, most delicious, healthiest thing evaaaaaa.
So…first of all…the chicken salad. There are so many delicious things going on here.
- NO mayo! Guess what our secret ingredient/mayo substitute is??? Guess! GUESS. Cottage cheese! It will blow your mind how well cottage cheese works as a healthy substitute in chicken salad and egg salad. Awesome discovery. Yum, yum, yum. Cottage cheese is to mayo what Greek yogurt is to sour cream. There’s an analogy for ya.
- Turkey bacon. If you have never made turkey bacon in the oven, you have never made turkey bacon. It is really the ONLY way to do it. Otherwise, it is impossible to get crispy. It just doesn’t happen in a pan, unfortunately. But if you bake it in the oven, it gets crispy just like bacon and is a healthier substitute.
- The lettuce and tomato…not much to say here. The addition of these two ingredients along with the bacon is what makes this chicken salad taste just like your favorite BLT ?.
Stir all that goodness together with some rotisserie chicken, and you have one delicious bowl of chicken salad.
Next…the avocado. Now, this recipe is titled “stuffed avocados,” but really, depending on your avocado, there isn’t technically much “stuffing” happening. The little pit where the seed was is relatively small sometimes. SO – stuff as much in there as you can, and just heap the rest on top. If you don’t want to deal with this at all, just have a bowl of chicken salad next to your avocado and take a scoop of one and then a scoop of the other. Just as long as you eat them together, you are good. Because the combination of flavors and textures is WONDERFUL.
Okay, people. Listen to this. So I take Boone to doggie daycare every week on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday (the place is called Howl-a-Dayz Inn, by the way. How dang cute is that??). I went in a few days ago to pick Boone up, and there was another dog behind the gate. He was FREAKING ADORABLE, and I went over to hang out with him for a little bit. His name is Ike.
I immediately noticed how his personality is an absolute clone of Boone’s before the lady who works there even said anything. He jumped up on the gate next to the front desk and was just licking me all over like I was a bowl of water and he was dying of thirst. It. Was. Adorable. I put my hands over his paws and he slid them out and put his paws on top of my hands. Such a sweet little dude.
Then the lady was like, “Okay, you seriously need to adopt him. He and Boone are best friends and they play ALL day when they are both here. Ike is too hyper for any other dogs to play with him [except Boone], and no one will adopt him because he is crazy [like Boone].” I asked her if he actually needed to be adopted, and she told me they rescued him recently and he is her foster dog on a temporary basis.
I have not been able to stop thinking about him since! I want to adopt him so bad. He and Boone would have so much fun together playing all day. A little buddy for my little man! He is a Greyhound Husky mix, and he is absolutely precious. I went in again today and played with him for a little bit, and he is such a sweet, loving, cuddly boy.
I told Seth about him and sent him pictures, thinking he would say we shouldn’t get him since we have a small house and already have a big dog, but he wants him so bad! He is pushing for this even more than I am. SO – we might be adding a sweet little (I keep saying little, but he’s the same size as Boone) dog to our family!!
Very exciting! Buuuuuutttt also cray cray. We will see what happens ?. I’ll keep you updated!
For you 21 Day Fix people, here are your container amounts:
- 1 red (chicken, cottage cheese, turkey bacon – really it’s a tad more than one red, because there are 7 red containers going into 6 servings, but I just count it as 1 because it’s so little extra. If you want to be exact, just add a little less chicken)
- 1 blue (avocado)
- 1/3 green (tomato and lettuce)*
*When I have “partial” containers like this, I just keep it simple and fill the rest of the container (in this case, 2/3) up with easy raw veggies like carrots, cucumbers, peppers, etc…*
Click here to see more 21 Day Fix recipes!
- 12 slices of turkey bacon (3 reds)
- 1½ cups shredded rotisserie chicken (2 reds)
- 2 roma tomatoes (1 green)
- 1½ cups cottage cheese (or more depending on the consistency you prefer - 2 reds)
- 1 cup finely chopped romaine lettuce (1 green)
- 3 avocados
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees
- Lay 12 slices of turkey bacon out on a foil lined baking sheet
- Bake for 10 minutes, flip, bake for another five minutes, and lay the bacon out over several sheets of paper towels to cool
- Meanwhile, quarter your tomatoes, scoop out all the pulp and seeds with your fingers, and dice into small chunks
- Chop the romaine into small pieces
- In a large bowl, combine the chicken, cottage cheese, romaine, tomatoes, crumbled turkey bacon, and mix together
- Season to taste with salt and pepper
- Half your avocados, remove the pits, and season lightly with salt and pepper
- To serve, scoop ⅙ (approximately) of the chicken salad into each avocado half. Not a huge amount will fit inside the hole made by the pit, so you will heap a decent amount on top of the avocado, too
This recipe is gluten free
If you make this or any of my other recipes, be sure to Instagram it and hashtag #thegarlicdiaries!
In the mood for more avocado recipes? Check these out: