Oh my goodness love. Love. Love. These lettuce wraps make me so happy ????. They seriously pack the most amazingly flawless combination of flavors and textures…
Let’s start from the bottom and work our way up:
- A crispy leaf of fresh romaine lettuce.
- A crunchy layer of tangy, slightly sweet honey, lime, cilantro slaw.
- P.S. easiest stuff evaaaaaaa.
- Three or so flavor packed blackened shrimp that have been perfectly seared in a pan with a touch of olive oil ??? (best part).
- A few thin slices of fresh jalapeño to add freshness, crunch, and heat! This step is optional, of course, if you aren’t a fan of spicy food. If you are a fan of spicy food, load those babies on there. Fresh jalapeños have the most deeee-licious flavor.
- A little bit of cilantro sprinkled over top for an extra pop!
And that’s it ladies and gentlemen. Simple and wonderful.
I have been loving shrimp lately! These got me addicted. They are just so healthy and yummy and you can do so many different things with them. I really like the shrimp that my grocery store sells because they come deveined but not peeled. This could just be totally in my head, but I feel like the shrimp taste more fresh when they haven’t been peeled yet.
Like the peel holds in some of that fresh, shrimpy deliciousness. Usually when they aren’t peeled it also means they aren’t deveined either. Deveining is just kind of an annoying, tedious process. Not to mention it kiiiiiiiiiiiiiiind of makes me want to vom.
So the fact that the shrimp I get at my grocery store come deveined but not yet peeled makes me happy. It’s the little things in life, nah mean??
On a different note, this post and Thursday’s post were both supposed to go out last week! I was really banking on that time I thought I would be sitting around the Kansas City airport all day. It was going to be pre-posting time. Don’t get me wrong, I absolutely loved that I made that first flight on Friday, but it messed up my blogging for the week.
I was too busy hanging out with family and friends! It was such a fun week, though, and it was worth getting a few days behind on the blog (even though I love you all very much!). It really was a wonderful seven days. Very relaxing. And very social!
I have lived by myself for about five to six months now, so it was really fun to be staying with my dad and have someone to hang out with in the evenings! That makes me sound like I’m lonely and sad when I am home, but I’m really not – promise. I do prefer living with someone else, though. So it was a fun change for the week!
Yesterday was our first day back to school after Spring Break. Why is it so hard to come back after Spring Break?? My theory is that it’s because we are getting so close to the end of the year. It was fun to see all my students and coworkers again, though! And we have a “three day week” (in quotes because Thursday is parent-teacher conferences, so it doesn’t fully count as a day off) this week which will help us ease back into things.
Happy Monday!!!!! Make some shrimp. Or, as Seth calls it, skramp.
For you 21 Day Fix people, here are your container amounts:
- 1 red container (shrimp)
- 1 green container (romaine, slaw, jalapeños)
- 1 blue container (avocado)
*The lime, honey, cilantro, and spices are “free”*
Click here for more 21 Day Fix recipes!Print
Spicy Shrimp and Avocado Lettuce Wraps [21 Day Fix]
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 10 mins
- Total Time: 25 mins
- Yield: 1 serving 1x
- For the slaw:
- 3/4 cup shredded cole slaw mix (3/4 green container)
- 2 teaspoons fresh lime juice
- 1/3 teaspoon honey
- 2 teaspoons chopped cilantro
- For the shrimp:
- 6 large peeled and deveined shrimp
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- For the lettuce wraps:
- 2 leaves of romaine lettuce (try to find bigger, leafier heads of romain that have the larger outer leaves – these will work better). Cut off the top of the romaine leaf and just use that, discarding the light green, crunchy bottom
- 1/2 avocado, thinly sliced
- 1 jalapeno, very thinly sliced (optional topping)
- Extra cilantro, chopped (optional topping)
- Assemble the slaw first so that the flavors can be marrying together while you finish everything else.
- Combine the shredded cole slaw mix, lime juice, honey, and cilantro in a bowl – stir well until everything is completely mixed together. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Set aside
- Stir together the cumin, chili powder, garlic powder, paprika, salt, and cayenne pepper in a small bowl. Lay the shrimp out on a plate and season liberally on both sides with this seasoning mix
- Heat a skillet over medium-high heat with 1 teaspoon of olive oil
- When hot, add the shrimp to the skillet and sear on both sides until cooked through
- To assemble, add half the slaw to each romaine leaf, add half the avocado slices, 3 shrimp, a few jalapeños, and sprinkle of cilantro on top
*This recipe is gluten free*
If you make this or any of my other recipes, be sure to Instagram it and hashtag #thegarlicdiaries!
In the mood for more shrimp recipes? Check these out: