Have you guys ever had Mexican street corn before?
Get in your car and drive to the grocery store. Pronto.
Get some corn. Make this…now!
This is one of those things that you just want to eat every single day of summer because it is so perfect in every way. The juicy, crisp, grilled (duh) corn kernels; the creamy, lime-y, flavorful spread; the sharp, salty Cotija cheese; the fresh cilantro, and the extra pop from the sprinkle of chili powder….
Excuse me while I go finish off the remaining three from the fridge right now.
There is only one negative to this recipe…and it is only a negative if you have braces or that little permanent wire retainer that they glue to the inside of your teeth (me! me!).
I would say about 93% of the corn ended up in the retainer.
BUT!! Totally worth it. No question in my mind.
This is such a perfect summer side!
I say “side” but the reality is that Seth and I will probably eat these and only these for dinner tonight. Because…well…they are yummy. I can blame not making a balanced meal and just eating corn for dinner on being a food blogger…right?
We’re gonna go with yes.
I basically use any excuse I possibly can
to grill make Seth grill while I sit inside in the air conditioned house. I’m glad dudes like grilling…because it makes everything taste bangin’ and is so appropriate for summa time. But it’s preeeeeeetty much miserable outside because of the heat and humidity. Stick a 400 degree grill in front of me when it’s already 100 degrees outside aaaand I think I’ll pass.
Corn is so delicious this time of year – so juicy and crisp and sweet and tasty and..and….and….it’s just everything.
Boone likes it too. I gave him a little because I feel bad for him. He is injured…he hurt his little paw. I have no idea what happened, but we were outside playing fetch and when he was running back to me he suddenly had a really serious limp goin’ on.
It looks like something is stuck in his little foot, but we can’t find anything. So maybe he twisted it or something? We are going to let it go for a few days and if it doesn’t improve at all we will have to take him to…….
Dun dun dunnnnn.
If you read this, you know about Boone’s INTENSE fear of the vet. It makes it a really enjoyable experience to take him there.
So hopefully he gets better!!!!! Poor baby.
It’s okay. I gave him corn.
Happy happy happy haaappppyyyy FRRIIDDAYY!! Woo!
Go make some corn.
- 4 ears of corn
- 3 tablespoons light mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons Greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ⅛ teaspoon chili powder + a little extra for sprinkling on the finished corn
- Small block of Cotija cheese
- Cilantro, chopped
- Turn your grill on high and let it heat up
- Remove the husks and silk strings from the corn and set aside on a plate
- To make the sauce, stir together the mayonnaise, Greek yogurt, lime juice, garlic powder, and ¼ teaspoon of chili powder in a small bowl
- Crumble your Cotija cheese and place in a bowl or plate
- Chop your cilantro
- Brush a little bit of olive oil onto each ear of corn along with a little salt and pepper
- Grill the corn until the many of the kernels have turned brown (not black!) on all sides (you will need to turn the corn often)
- When the corn is done, slather your mayo/Greek yogurt sauce all over each ear, sprinkle on a liberal amount of Cotija cheese, some cilantro, and a little chili powder
*This recipe is gluten free*
If you make this or any of my other recipes, be sure to Instagram it and hashtag #thegarlicdiaries!
In the mood for more yummy sides? Check these out: