I mean…I know it’s June, but can we all be okay with soup anyway? No? What if I tell you that it is loaded with fresh veggies, curry paste, coconut milk, and – wait for it – a few big scoops of cashew butter?
Okay good I’m so glad we are on the same page.
It’s hearty, it’s smooth, it’s loaded with thai flavor and healthy fats, and it is the MOST delicious, even though it’s a hot soup in the middle of hot summer. Can I suggest just throwing together a cold, fresh salad with it and calling it a day? Cool. It’s a plan.
Here’s what goes down:
We start with some aromatics in the form of garlic and shallot. It’s already going to beautiful places here, friends. When that’s soft, we stir in some curry paste, let that cook for a minute, and throw in your sweet potatoes and carrots.
Then comes the liquid – coconut milk and veggie broth! Simmer it for about 15 to 20 minutes and then stir in some lime juice and cashew butter.
Blend it up, top it HEARTILY with cashews and cilantro, and call it a day. A beautiful, luxurious day filled with many-a-bowl of the most flavorful soup in all the land.
Speaking of sweet potatoes, my tiniest little sweet potato started solids last week. Guess what they were? You guessed it…sweet potatoes. Which I actually had leftover from extras I didn’t use in this soup, so does that mean they are weirdly connected in some way 🤔?
He is such a little cutie. He’s actually crushing the solid game. Ford took a bit to be able to eat well and understand how the whole thing worked, but Colt just started chompin’ away immediately like he had been doing it for months!
Maybe it’s a sign that he’s going to grow up to be obsessed with any and all food just like his momma. We can call this soup a super grown up and much more delicious version of Colty’s first meal!
If any of you are interested in learning how to make baby food or seeing how I make Colt’s, it’s all on my Instagram @thegarlicdiaries – baby food has its own highlight!Print
Thai Sweet Potato and Carrot Soup
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 30 mins
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 9 servings 1x
- 4 sweet potatoes, diced (don’t worry about peeling them)
- 4 carrots, diced (don’t worry about peeling them)
- 1 shallot, minced
- 5 cloves of garlic, mined
- 2 tablespoons red curry paste
- 2 13.5 oz cans coconut milk
- 2 cups veggie broth
- 1 lime, juiced
- 3 tablespoons cashew butter
- Optional toppings: cashews and cilantro
- Heat some oil (avocado or coconut would both work great) in a large pot. When hot, add your shallot and garlic + salt and saute until soft
- Add your curry paste, stir to combine, and cook for a minute or two
- Add your sweet potatoes and carrots + salt and toss until they are coated in the curry mixture
- Stir in your coconut milk and veggie stock. Bring to a simmer and simmer for 15 – 20 mins until the veggies are tender when pierced
- Add your lime juice and cashew butter and blend the pot of soup together with an immersion blender (stick blender) until super smooth. Season to taste with salt
You can peel your veggies if you want, but you don’t really need to since it’s all getting pureed in the end. The skin adds some good nutrition!
- Serving Size: 1 cup
- Calories: 262
- Sugar: 8 g
- Sodium: 206 mg
- Fat: 17 g
- Carbohydrates: 22 g
- Fiber: 3 g
- Protein: 5 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
If you make this or any of my other recipes, be sure to Instagram it and hashtag #thegarlicdiaries so I can see!
In the mood for more sweet potato recipes? Check these out: