Okay so here’s the thing, I am not vegetarian. I eat meat a decent amount. And I also love tacos. Now that we have all that covered, these are MY FAVORITE tacos ever. And, like I said, I love tacos. Love. These take the cake, fam – no meat and all!
The lightly charred tortillas. The simple avocado mash at the base. The medley of perfectly grilled veggies that have the delicious smokey, charred flavor that screams SUMMER into your face the entire time you’re eating it. The tangy, fresh yogurt sauce that is drizzled over top. Y’all. It’s pure bliss.
They are the actual best! You need these tacos in your life this summer, because A. anything grilled is mandatory, B. these are the best tacos that will ever grace your presence, and C. because I said so. Kay?
Even though there are several elements to these tacos, each element is super simple. The avocado mash = 2 ingredients that you just mix together with fork until mostly smooth/slightly chunky. The veggies are just oiled, salted, and peppered before chillin’ out on the grill for several minutes. And the yogurt sauce is just greek yogurt, lime, and cilantro. And that’s a wrap!
If you want to be speedy and awesome, make the mash and yogurt sauce earlier in the day (or the day before). You can even slice up your veggies and get those prepped so that when it’s dinner time, all you gotta do is throw those babies on the grill.
I like to do some dinner prep like that when the kids are napping to make my life thuuuper thimple when 5:30 rolls around. #protip. #exceptimnotapro. #butwecanpretend? #thanks.
The last thing you gotta do before it’s go-time is char your tortillas. This is technically optional and a slight pain in the butt, but MAN does it make a difference. So if you’re up for it, take 5-10 extra minutes and get your tortillas lightly charred before you sit down at the table.
You guys – once again I urge you to MAKE THESE and live your best taco life. I’m telling you – they are amazing. Straight up.Print
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 15 mins
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 9 servings 1x
- 15–20 corn tortillas
- 2 avocados
- 3 limes
- 2 red bell peppers, 4 sides sliced off
- 2 zucchini, sliced into planks
- 1 red onion, cut into thick slices
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil (or another high heat oil – coconut would work great too)
- 4 ears of corn
- 1 cup nonfat Greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup cilantro, chopped
- Microwave your corn in their husks for 5 minutes
- Turn your grill onto medium high heat and let it heat up
- Lay your prepped veggies out on a baking sheet and brush with your avocado oil and season with salt and pepper. Remove the husks from the corn and add them to the baking sheet as well (no need to oil the corn too)
- Grill your veggies until they are slightly tender but still have a bite and have nice, charred grill marks. For the corn, just grill until it’s lightly charred all the way around – it’s already cooked from the microwave
- While your veggies are grilling, make your avocado mash and yogurt sauce. For the avocado mash, add your 2 avocados and juice from one of your limes to a bowl. Mash together and season to taste with salt and pepper. For the yogurt sauce, combine your yogurt, cilantro, and the juice from your remaining two limes into a bowl. Stir together and season to taste
- When the veggies are done, remove them from the grill, chop them up, slice the corn off the husks, and stir all that together in a large bowl
- In the largest skillet you have over medium high heat, lightly char your tortillas (don’t add any oil to the pan) until they have some golden brown/charred spots throughout. You’ll only be able to do 2 or 3 at a time depending on your skillet size
- To assemble, start with your avocado mash spread onto your tortilla, throw some veggies on there, and drizzle with your yogurt sauce + some extra cilantro if you want!
2 Freestyle SmartPoints per taco!
- Serving Size: 2 tacos (each with 1 tortilla, 1 tablespoon of avocado, 1/3 cup of veggies, and 1 tablespoon yogurt sauce)
- Calories: 289
- Sugar: 10 g
- Sodium: 33 mg
- Fat: 11 g
- Carbohydrates: 44 g
- Fiber: 8 g
- Protein: 8 g
- Cholesterol: 4 mg
If you make this or any of my other recipes, be sure to Instagram it and hashtag #thegarlicdiaries so I can see!
What a great way to get more veggies into meals. Will be trying this!
Annie Chesson says
PLEASE do! You’ll love them :).