I’m not sure if you ever have these weeks, but the last three days have been so busy and exhausting that Seth and I just haven’t had the time or energy to clean our apartment. So it got messy. Really messy. Especially the kitchen. And when I come home to a messy kitchen, it makes me just want to completely stay away from it and not cook (because that means I have to clean it first). And then eventually I suck it up and clean the whole thing so I can cook happily.
Well I knew today was blog day, so I knew that when I got home from work I was going to have to clean the whole kitchen and then cook for the blog, and then clean it again…ugh. I was not looking forward to it. BUT then I came home from work, and Seth had gotten home early and cleaned the entire apartment – kitchen and all!! Seriously, that is the most excited I have been in weeks. I was jumping up and down for 5 minutes. Not only because I was so dang happy I didn’t have to slave over dirty dishes for an hour, but because I had no idea and was expecting to walk into a pit of mess.
Oh man…it was awesome. So that put me in the best mood and now my day has been awesome ever since. He’s so great.
He picked this shrimp out of my massive list of recipe ideas written on my phone, and it was an awesome choice. This shrimp turned out amazing! The flavors in the peanut lime marinade soak into the shrimp and give it the most amazing, bold flavor.
And it puts the shrimp over the top when you reduce the marinade into a sauce and drizzle that over the top. Yum.
Not only did Seth clean the kitchen and pick this delicious recipe, he was also my designated shrimp-holder-and-dipper.
He promptly ate the shrimp after this shot.
This shrimp is not only ridiculously flavorful, it is also stupid easy to make. Marinade for ten minutes and then grill for a few minutes per side. Bam. Best shrimp ever. I used a grill pan for this, but if you actually have a grill I would definitely use that. There’s nothin’ better than grilled food. Only 1 more month until we are out of apartments forever, moving into our first house at Fort Riley (yay!), and will be able to get our grill from Seth’s parents’ house. So excited for that.
You are probably going to be sick of the amount of grill recipes I will be putting on here when that day comes. Apologies in advance.
I highly recommend this for a busy weeknight meal. You and your family will LOVE it!
- 1 pound peeled and deveined shrimp
- For the marinade:
- 2 cloves garlic, finely minced
- ½ teaspoon fresh ginger, grated
- ½ lime, juiced
- 2 tablespoons peanut butter
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce (or tamari for gluten free)
- Dash of Sriracha (add more or less depending on spice preference)
- ½ teaspoon brown sugar
- Chopped cilantro, for garnish
- For the marinade, whisk all ingredients together in a medium bowl
- Add the shrimp, toss until all the shrimp are evenly coated, and let marinade for ten minutes, tossing a few times throughout
- Skewer the shrimp. We added five shrimp to each skewer
- Heat coconut oil (vegetable or canola can be substituted) in a grill pan over medium-high heat
- Grill the shrimp for a few minutes per side or until they are cooked through. It won't take long!
- While the shrimp are cooking, pour the remaining marinade into a small pot and turn onto medium-high heat
- Let the marinade simmer for a few minutes to cook out any bacteria from the raw shrimp
- Add a little water to the sauce to thin it out if it reduces too much and is too thick
- To serve, place the shrimp on plates and drizzle the peanut lime sauce over the skewers
If you make this or any of my other recipes, make sure to Instagram it and hashtag #thegarlicdiaries!