Y’all. These chicken wings are CRISPY. Like…SUPER crispy. Crispy as in fried-level crispy. I am in love. And it all goes down in the oven! No deep frying in oil. A hot oven and a long cook time takes care of that crispy skin for you.
These are designed to be a nod to salt and vinegar chips, but they don’t have quite the super jaw cramping vinegar flavor that the chips do – this is more subtle, but I like to keep a little bowl of vinegar out on the table for people to brush on extra if they want.
You can just see the crispiness in that picture right there 👆🏼. So – what’s the secret? How in the world do they get THAT crispy with no deep frying involved? Three things:
- The wings need to be very dry. Pat them dry with paper towels, pat them dry again, and then pat them dry one more time just for good measure. Dry skin = crispy wings!
- A hot oven. 425 degrees.
- A long cook time. One hour! You do not need this long for the chicken to cook through since the wings are so small, but you do need this much time for the skin to get as crispy as we want it. Luckily, since these are bone in and skin on, the meat stays delicious and doesn’t get super dry like a chicken breast would with that long of a cook time.
We season them with salt before they go into the oven, and then we brush some vinegar on after they come out of the oven. I used rice vinegar, but white vinegar will work too! Rice vinegar just has such a yummy flavor and you still get that vinegar kick.
If salt and vinegar wings sound weird to you, just try them! There is a reason salt and vinegar chips are famous – it’s just a salty, bright, delicious combo. These won’t slap you in the face quite as hard as the chips, though. It’s a lighter flavor, and you will love it!Print
Crispy Oven Baked Salt and Vinegar Chicken Wings
These Whole 30, paleo, and keto chicken wings will be such a hit! They are crazy crispy, no one will believe they weren’t deep fried!
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 1 hour
- Total Time: 1 hour 10 minutes
- Yield: 6 servings 1x
- 3 – 3 1/2 pounds chicken wings, drumettes and flats separated if they aren’t already
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar, plus extra for the table
- Sea salt
- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees.
- Pat your wings VERY dry (the dryer the better – dry wings = crispy skin!)
- Lay the wings out skin side up on a parchment paper lined baking sheet and season well with salt
- Bake for 1 hour, remove from the oven, brush with 1 tablespoon vinegar (distribute the tablespoon evenly across all the wings using a pastry brush), and serve!
I like to keep extra vinegar on the table in case people want to brush on more!
You can use white vinegar instead of rice vinegar if you need to!
- Serving Size: 4 wings
- Calories: 351
- Sugar: 0 g
- Sodium: 1289
- Fat: 18 g
- Carbohydrates: 1 g
- Fiber: 0 g
- Protein: 36 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
If you make this or any of my other recipes, be sure to Instagram it and tag @thegarlicdiaries so I can see!