IF YOU ARE A BLUE CHEESE HATER JUST WAIT! Wait ooone second.
Because Seth and I hate blue cheese. Really, really hate it. To the point where if I forget to ask the servers to leave it off my salad at a restaurant it ruins the whole thing for me. But we are obsessed with this salad. Oooooobsessed.
So it started with an experiment. There is this burger at a sports bar back in our college town called the Pittsburger. It is piled high with bacon and blue cheese, and Seth and I both loved it – which we always thought was so weird because of the copious (yeah…I said copious) amounts of blue cheese piled on there.
So a few days ago we were talking about it and thinking it was the combo of bacon and blue cheese that made it SO dang good.
So we cooked a few slices of bacon and tried that with a bite of blue cheese.
And it was preeeeetty much the best thing ever.
We like blue cheese if it’s with bacon whhhaaaaattt?!
SO – to all you blue cheese haters out there…you have to try this salad.
You might be sitting here thinking, are we not going to address the fact that you are telling us to grill a salad?
I have to give credit to my in-laws for that part of the recipe. They introduced me to the beautiful-ness that is grilled Romaine halves a few years ago.
You have not lived until you’ve tried a grilled Romaine salad, people…mark my words!!
Everything about this salad is pure
The slightly charred, smoky leaves of Romaine, the creamy blue cheese paired with the crispy, salty bacon, and the tangy, herb-y, flavor packed balsamic dressing. Oh man…it is seriously AMAZING!
Speaking of the dressing…this dressing basically takes a plain balsamic vinaigrette and slaps it in the face. You start with a base of balsamic vinaigrette and then add three different kinds of dried herbs and a touch of Dijon mustard.
Goodbye old balsamic dressing. Hello best dressing ever.
Definitely, hands down, no argument my favorite salad ever.
Can you tell I’m excited about this recipe? Because…I am…big time.
We can just not talk about the fact that you brush bacon grease on the Romaine halves before grilling them and then top everything with bacon and cheese – lets just leave it at “it’s a salad so it has to be healthy” and not look any further into it.
- 3 Romaine hearts
- 12 pieces of thick cut bacon
- 5 oz blue cheese crumbles
- For the dressing:
- ¼ cup balsamic vinegar
- ¼ cup light olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon dried thyme
- ¼ teaspoon dried parsley
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- A little salt and pepper
- ¼ teaspoon Dijon mustard
- Fry bacon in a large skillet - reserve the bacon fat
- Slice each Romaine heart in half and set aside
- Heat your grill up over high heat - you want very hot grates so you get a quick char without cooking the lettuce too much or wilting it
- Using a basting brush, lightly brush a little bacon fat onto the flat side of each Romaine half
- When you are ready to grill, place the Romaine halves flat side down on the grill and just keep them on there until they have light char marks - it shouldn't take more than 30 seconds
- Remove the Romaine halves to a plate and turn off your grill
- For the dressing, add all ingredients into a bowl and whisk together, or add to a jar and shake
- To assemble the salad, top each Romaine half with bacon and blue cheese crumbles, and drizzle on the balsamic dressing
*This recipe is gluten free*
If you make this or any of my other recipes, be sure to Instagram it and hashtag #thegarlicdiaries!
Want more delicious salad ideas? Check these out: