It’s always fun when creating a salad to try and find that perfect balance of flavors and textures – crunchy and soft, salty and sweet, etc…That delicious balance is the mark of a great salad, in my opinion. This Broccoli and Brussels Sprout Salad is a perfect example of that!
You get the crunch from the broccoli, the salty from the bacon and sunflower seeds, and the chewy/sweet from the craisins. The lemon and orange citrus vinaigrette is just tangy and bold enough to balance out all the raw veggies. I love the taste of lemon and Brussels sprouts together, and who doesn’t love the combo of orange and cranberry?! It’s a classic pairing. Everything adds up to be the perfect bite.
One unique thing that I really love about this salad is its lack of lettuce. Not that I have anything against lettuce or any other type of green, but it always ends up at the base of a salad. The dressing and toppings are usually the highlights anyway, so how ’bout we ditch the greens and just stick with the best parts for this one!
The lack of lettuce in this salad really makes the final dish heartier and more filling. Rather than eating a bowl that contains 60% greens and 40% veggies, which isn’t quite as filling, here you have an entire bowl full of delicious vegetables and other add-ons: broccoli, Brussels sprouts, craisins, bacon (yum), sunflower seeds, green onion, all topped off with a bright, tangy citrus dressing.
This dish can easily be eaten all by itself for dinner, or you can use it as a side!
While I was making this salad, Seth pulled some ground turkey out of the fridge and created turkey burger patties to go with it. When Seth cooks, he doesn’t usually use recipes – he more often than not just looks through the fridge and pantry and makes something crazy out of the MOST random ingredients…it’s awesome. Last night for example, he made turkey burgers that had shallots, garlic, horseradish mustard, bacon hot sauce, and-this is the weirdest part-apple cider vinegar!
I was so skeptical of the apple cider vinegar going into a turkey burger, but I kept my mouth shut because his random ingredient additions always turn out really well, and it actually ended up being one of the best burger patties I have ever eaten. We were both pretty blown away by it. Who would have ever thought to put apple cider vinegar into a turkey burger?? We might try and recreate the exact burger for a blog post since it turned out so well.
The burger ended up pairing perfectly with this salad, so for future reference if you make this dish — pairs well with turkey patties ;).
Here is the recipe:
- For the dressing:
- 4 tablespoons of olive oil
- Juice from 2 lemons (about 7 tablespoons)
- Juice from ½ orange (about 2 tablespoons)
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon finely minced shallot
- 1 clove finely minced garlic
- For the salad:
- 20 Brussels sprouts
- 1 head broccoli
- 5 pieces bacon
- 3 green onions
- ½ cup craisins
- ½ cup sunflower seeds
- Start by cooking your bacon
- While your bacon is cooking, mince your shallot and garlic for the dressing
- Combine all the ingredients for your dressing in a bowl and whisk together
- Set aside until ready to serve
- Chop your broccoli into small, bite size florets
- Cut the bottoms off your Brussels sprouts and thinly slice them
- Thinly slice your green onions
- Crumble your bacon
- To assemble, in a large bowl place the broccoli, Brussels sprouts, green onions, craisins, bacon, and sunflower seeds
- Dress the salad and toss to combine
- **The dressing recipe isn't necessarily the exact amount you want to use. Dress the salad according to your preference**
Vegan? Omit the bacon and you are good to go!
If you make this or any of my other recipes, make sure to Instagram it and hashtag #thegarlicdiaries!