Say hello to the ULTIMATE easy homemade pasta sauce, fam. It’s a sheet pan dinner in pasta sauce form. We roast a sheet pan of cherry tomatoes, onion, and garlic low and slow – a whole hour in the oven. The flavor in all the veggies deepens and they get nice and caramelized, and then we blend it up with some raw cashews and water (which is the dairy free version of adding a big glug of heavy cream) and it’s reaaadddyyy for some pasta tossing action.
I love using a pasta that has some grooves and nooks so it can capture as much delicious, roast-y, flavorful sauce as possible. I chose rotini in this batch – highly recommend!
I mean, look at that roasted tomato goodness 👆🏻😍❤️.
I am absolutely in LOVE with easy dinners like this that take SO little effort but taste amazing. It makes my busy-mom-who-still-loves-making-delicious-food-despite-tiny-humans-needing-me-every-two-seconds heart deeply satisfied. Feel me?
This recipe makes about twenty ounces of sauce, which is a little less than your standard jar of pasta sauce, but only by about four ounces. I really like using cherry tomatoes for this for two reasons:
- ZERO prep. No dicing like you’d have to do with large tomatoes. You literally just dump ’em and go.
- Less moisture. As they roast, the cherry tomatoes release MUCH less moisture, and the moisture that is released almost fully evaporates by the time they come out of the oven. In contrast, when you dice and roast regular tomatoes, there is so much moisture released that there’s a half inch of liquid at the end, and everything’s basically just steamed. Not as good!
So that’s basically it! Don’t have much more to say about this recipe other than you need to MAKE IT and experience the bliss of this insanely easy sheet pan dinner. You will love.
Here’s the recipe for ya, friends! Have a wonderful Tuesday!Print
Sheet Pan Marinara
This homemade pasta sauce could not be any easier! The whole thing goes down on a sheet pan in the oven. So easy, SO delicious, and so healthy, too! Whole 30, paleo, and keto compliant.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour
- Total Time: 1 hour 5 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings (20 oz total) 1x
- Diet: Vegan
- 2 pounds cherry tomatoes
- 1/2 onion, cut into thick slices
- 3 cloves of garlic, unpeeled – we want them still in their wrappers
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 cup raw cashews
- 3/4 cup water
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and add your tomatoes, onion, and garlic. Drizzle to coat with olive oil, and season well with salt and pepper. Add your oregano. Toss to combine and spread the veggies out evenly across the baking sheet
- Roast for an hour
- If you don’t have a high powered blender (like a Vitamix or Blendtec), you’ll either need to soak your cashews overnight OR boil them for 10 minutes and then drain before adding to the blender.
- Add the roasted veggies to a blender and add your cashews and water
- Blend until smooth and season to taste with salt and pepper. Sauce pasta, zoodles, or spaghetti squash!
This is *just* enough sauce for one pound of pasta. I like my pasta super saucy, so I don’t stretch it across a whole pound – I just sauce each portion of pasta individually so that it’s to each person’s preference.
Nutrition info accounts for 1 tablespoon of oil being used to coat the veggies.
- Serving Size: 5 oz
- Calories: 120
- Sugar: 7 g
- Sodium: 15 mg
- Fat: 7 g
- Saturated Fat: 1 g
- Carbohydrates: 13 g
- Fiber: 3 g
- Protein: 4 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
If you make this or any of my other recipes, be sure to Instagram it and tag @thegarlicdiaries so I can see!