This eight ingredient dinner (not including whatever you serve it over) is not only incredibly easy to make, it is LOADED with flavor thanks to the garlic, shallot, ginger, lime zest, basil, and coconut milk. All of that goodness simmers together just until the chicken is cooked through, and it is pure heaven!
Since we were just doing whole 30, I served this with cauliflower rice, but I’ve made it before with regular white rice, and it was so delicious that way too!
Here’s the super quick and simple process:
- Saute the aromatics – the hitters this time are garlic, ginger, and shallot.
- Add your lime zest and let those oils release for a minute or two
- Stir in your coconut milk, basil, and chicken. Simmer until chicken is JUST cooked through.
- Add a slurry of arrowroot powder and water (optional) to thicken the sauce just *ever* so slightly
- Serve over cauli rice or regular rice!
Now for a slight non-food related update (if you’re just here for the recipe, it’s right below the next picture, so scroll on down!). I have been pretty absent on the blog and on the blog’s Instagram during January. Long story short, my mom had a stroke on January 1st, and I’ve been spending lots of time since then handling that. For the first few weeks, it was CONSTANT phone calls with family, social workers, facilities, doctors, etc. I had zero extra time, and about a week and a half ago, I flew up to Chicago and drove her down here to live with us in South Carolina during her rehab time.
So needless to say, life looks a little different for us right now. Something had to give time-wise, and unfortunately, that’s been the blog. I am still here, things will just look different for a little while! Just wanted to give you that heads up so it doesn’t look like I just ghosted all of you lovely people! Thanks for understanding, friends!Print
This quick and simple dinner is loaded with delicious flavor – perfect served over rice (or cauliflower rice!)
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 20 mins
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: 5 servings 1x
- Diet: Gluten Free
- 4 chicken breasts, sliced into bite sized pieces
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 shallots, minced
- 1 inch knob ginger, minced
- 1 lime, zested
- 1/3 cup basil leaves, sliced
- 1 can unsweetened coconut milk (full fat!)
- *1 tablespoon arrowroot powder (can be subbed for cornstarch)
- In a pot, heat some avocado oil (olive or coconut work as well) over medium high heat
- When hot, add your shallot, garlic, and ginger + salt and pepper. Cook until softened
- Add your lime zest and cook for another minute
- Add your coconut milk, basil, and chicken, season well with salt and pepper, and bring to a simmer
- When the chicken is almost done: in a small bowl, stir together your arrowroot powder + enough water to make it runny. Stir into your simmering chicken. This adds just a touch of thickness (not too much – you still want it thin like a curry).
- Season to taste with salt and pepper and serve over cauliflower rice or regular rice!
*The thickener step is optional. It adds a little bit of viscosity to the sauce, but it’s delicious without!
- Calories: 245
- Sugar: 2 g
- Sodium: 313 mg
- Fat: 10 g
- Saturated Fat: 8 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 10 g
- Fiber: 1 g
- Protein: 24 g
- Cholesterol: 72 mg