I love recipes like this. Recipes that are so easy the shouldn’t even be called “recipes.”
And thiiiiiiiiiiiis is that. Supa’ easy.
To be precise…easy-peasy-lemon-squeezy.
All you do is dump some stuff into a crock-pot, say “peace out,” come back around dinner time, shred the chicken, stir it up, and you are good to go!!
The difficulty level goes up a leeeeettle bit if you use homemade Salsa Verde…optional but HIGHLY recommended. It’s an easy recipe too!!
My favorite thing about this recipe is how many different things you can do with the chicken once it’s done.
The following is a list of delicious uses for this chicken ?:
- Over rice (brown or white)
- In a taco (we did this and just topped it with romaine lettuce and green onions)
- In a burrito
- In a burrito bowl (totally still counts as its own thing)
- With a fork straight out of the fridge
And there are a billion more uses too!
*Correction: a billion and one.*
And they are all delicious ?. That was a fist bump. I recently learned how to use emoticons on the computer.
I am taking full advantage of this new ability ??.
Okay seriously I’m done.
Here’s the thing about Crock-Pots…I think they are absolutely wonderful and perfect and magical and beautiful for soups, stews, chilis, and things like that, but I usually don’t like to just pop a hunk of meat in there with some liquid and let it go. I feel like the meat becomes super tender and falls apart when you poke it with a fork, but it seems to always turn out dry! Because it cooks for so long.
I was a little concerned about that happening with this recipe, but I crossed my fingers that the salsa verde sauce would help keep it nice and moist.
And it totally did! The chicken isn’t dry at all. It is melt-in-your-mouth tender, and the salsa verde sauce gives it tons of creaminess and moisture.
Yaaasssssssssss…easy, cheap, flavorful, moist, perfect chicken ? (had to add one more).
Creamy Crock-Pot Salsa Verde Chicken
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 5 hours
- Total Time: 5 hours 10 mins
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- 2 cups salsa verde (homemade is recommended. You can find the recipe here: https://www.thegarlicdiaries.com/grilled-salsa-verde/)
- 1/2 cup reduced fat sour cream
- 1/2 cup reduced fat cream cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 3 chicken breasts
- Whisk together the salsa, cream cheese, and sour cream in a medium bowl until combined
- Season to taste with salt and pepper
- Season your chicken breasts on both sides with salt and pepper and place into your crock-pot
- Pour the salsa verde sauce on top and cook on low for 5 hours
- At this point, it may appear that your sauce has separated, but once you shred your chicken and stir, it all comes together
- Using 2 forks, shred your chicken while it is still in the crock-pot. Stir the shredded chicken together with the sauce until everything is evenly combined
- Optional garnishes: extra sour cream, cilantro
*This recipe is gluten free*
If you make this or any of my other recipes, be sure to Instagram it and hashtag #thegarlicdiaries!
In the mood for more yummy crock-pot recipes? Check these out!