This is me rejecting the end of summer and welcoming fall a few weeks early.
I DON’T CARE WHAT YOU SAY IT’S FALL.
Which means I can post things like this thick, comforting, perfect chicken pot pie soup :).
I have been chomping at the bit to start posting fall-y recipes, and I just can’t take it anymore! Sorry to everyone out there who is trying desperately to grip onto summer for the remaining week or two.
When you visit this blog, you must get in the mindset of fall :). Which means soups, casseroles, crock pots, and anything warm and comforting…aka my kinda food.
Or one pot meals…or casseroles…or…never mind I don’t have a favorite.
Let me rephrase….soups are one of my all time favorite things to make.
So naturally I was extremely excited to be a part of this collaboration! And I have had so much fun reading and drooling over the other Soup Sunday Posts that have been shared so far…click here to take a look!
These are the lovely bloggers that are also contributing to #SoupSundayCollab :).
Angela @ The Chewy Life
Thao @ In Good Flavor
Melissa and Gregg @ My Wife’s Muffin
Alisha @ Alisha Enid
Amanda @ Crafty Cooking Mama
Justine @ Born and Bred in Brooklyn
So get excited for some absolutely mouthwatering soups coming from lots of different directions this month :).
That preeeetty much sounds like my personal heaven.
Now…as for this soup. I really can’t think of many things more comforting than homemade chicken pot pie. The thick, creamy, veggie and chicken packed filling topped with a flaky pie crust. It is seriously the perfect bite.
Now enter this version. A soup version.
Still packed with veggies and chicken.
But SO easy and way quicker to make! I promise you if you close your eyes and take a bite you will think you are eating a homemade chicken pot pie. It tastes the exact same!
And the reason it tastes the exact same? Because it pretty much is the exact same…I made this soup exactly like I would make a chicken pot pie filling…just with a little more liquid.
The pie crust disks were actually Seth’s idea, and they make all the difference in the world! They transform the dish from a fantastic soup to a fantastic soup that tastes exactly like chicken pot pie :).
Three cheers for Soup Sunday!!!
To see more Soup Sunday recipes, search #soupsundaycollab on Instagram.
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 carrots
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- ¼ cup flour
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 2 cups 2% milk
- 1 teaspoon parsley flakes
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes
- 1 rotisserie chicken, meat shredded and set aside (should be about 2 cups of meat)
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 5 grates fresh nutmeg
- 1 pre-made pie crust - optional but highly recommended!
- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees
- Lay your pie crust out on the counter and slice it into circles using a drinking glass
- Lay the circles out on a baking sheet. When the oven is preheated, bake the pie crust for 10-15 minutes or until the discs are golden brown
- Peel your carrots, slice them in half, slice those halves in half, and dice
- Heat some olive oil in a large soup pan over medium high heat
- When hot, add your carrots, onions, and garlic
- Saute until the onions are translucent
- Add in your butter and let that melt
- Stir in your flour
- Let cook for about 30 seconds, stirring constantly
- Pour in your chicken stock and milk
- Add in your parsley, red pepper flakes, and nutmeg
- Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer
- Simmer until thickened
- Add your chicken, peas, and corn
- Bring back to a simmer and cook until the frozen peas and corn are heated through
- If your soup gets too thick, add a little bit of milk and stir to combine
- Top your bowls of soup with a pie crust disk and you are ready to go!
If you make this or any of my other recipes, be sure to Instagram it and hashtag #thegarlicdiaries!
In the mood for more yummy soup ideas? Check these out: