This is the easiest recipe ever. It is so simple…and it tastes awesome! There are so many different toppings you can add to this soup too, avocado, black beans, tomatoes, Greek yogurt, cilantro, tortilla chips…the list goes on and on.
The thing that makes this soup a little different from other Enchilada Soup recipes I have seen before is that it’s nice and thick rather than broth-y. I add Masa Harina to the soup to give it this texture. If you’ve never had Enchilada Soup this way before, you should definitely try this. It makes it so much more comforting and it adds a nice corn flavor to the soup.
So you start your Enchilada Soup by adding two 32 oz boxes of chicken stock and one 19 oz can of red enchilada sauce into a Crock Pot along with 1 teaspoon of cumin. Whisk to combine.
Once your five hours are up, remove the chicken breasts from the Crock Pot and set aside.
In a bowl, combine 1/2 cup of Masa Harina and 1/2 cup of water. Stir until a thick paste forms.
Add the Masa Harina mixture into the Crock Pot and whisk together until the soup is a uniform consistency and there isn’t any flour visible. This may take a minute or two.
Place the lid back on the Crock Pot, turn it up to high, and cook for another 20 minutes.
Meanwhile, using two forks, shred your chicken breasts. This should be super easy, they will be falling apart anyway because they are so tender.
Once your soup has been cooking for 20 minutes with the Masa Harina, turn off the Crock Pot, remove the lid, and add two cups of shredded cheddar cheese. Whisk until all the cheese is melted. This might seem like a lot of cheese, but this recipe makes a lot of soup. Now add the chicken and taste. I didn’t need to add any salt or extra cumin/taco seasoning to mine. I thought it tasted perfect the way it was, but if you feel like it needs any extra seasoning, add anything you want!
You can eat the soup just the way it is, or you can add toppings! My favorite toppings are tortilla chips and Greek yogurt. The Greek yogurt gives it a little “tang” which is delicious, and the tortilla chips sort of melt into the soup and give a salty bite and some extra corn flavor. I also added cilantro for color.
So good. Soooooooooo good. And so easy!!
Here is the recipe:Print
Crock-Pot Enchilada Soup
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 5 hours 20 mins
- Total Time: 5 hours 25 mins
- Yield: About 10 servings 1x
- 2 32 oz boxes of chicken stock
- 1 19 oz can red enchilada sauce
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 3 chicken breasts
- 1 1/2 teaspoons taco seasoning
- 1/2 cup Masa Harina
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Tortilla chips
- Greek yogurt
- Other optional toppings include cilantro, avocado, black beans, tomatoes, etc…
- Dump the chicken stock and enchilada sauce into a Crock Pot
- Whisk in 1 teaspoon of cumin
- Season your chicken breasts with 1/4 teaspoon of taco seasoning per side (1/2 teaspoon per chicken breast)
- Add your chicken into the Crock Pot with the chicken stock mixture
- Turn the Crock Pot on low and put on the lid
- Cook for 5 hours
- Once the soup has been cooking for five hours, remove the chicken breasts and set aside
- In a bowl, combine 1/2 cup Masa Harina and 1/2 cup water. Stir together until it has formed a thick paste
- Add the Masa Harina to the soup in the Crock Pot and whisk until the soup has formed a uniform consistency
- This might take a minute or two, but just keep whisking until you don’t see any flour
- Place the lid back on the Crock Pot, turn it up to high, and cook for another 20 minutes
- Meanwhile, shred your chicken breasts using two forks
- Once the 20 minutes is up, add in two cups of shredded cheddar cheese and whisk until the cheese is melted
- Add the shredded chicken back in and you are ready to serve!
- Top each bowl with a small dollop of Greek yogurt and some tortilla chips
- You can add any other toppings that you would like as well