Is it just me, or are buffalo wings the life of every party? It’s not uncommon for me to crave something smothered in buffalo sauce
daily weekly. Ultra crispy crunchy buffalo wings are one of my fave things in the delicious world of food!
But – game changer – have you ever tried buffalo shrimp? You’ve still got the crispy crunchy, you’ve still got the buffalo flavor, but instead of chicken underneath all that, it’s shrimp! So, so, so wrongly delicious.
Close your eyes and imagine this symphony of flavors and textures that I’m about to describe to you…it starts off with the fresh romaine lettuce, then we’ve got the crisp bite of cabbage slaw, then comes the shrimp – crunchy, fried batter coating tender, flavorful shrimp, all tossed in spicy and crazy delicious buffalo sauce. And then, to top it all off, HEARTILY drizzle some homemade creamy dreamy ranch allllllllll over the top of the shrimp.
Seriously…it will induce the most intense cravings forever.
Since we’re in keto (slash paleo and whole 30) mode, we ditch the white flour breading and use almond flour instead. It’s super simple – just dredge the little shrimpies in egg and then seasoned almond flour, fry just until golden brown in avocado oil and that’s all there is to it!
While that’s all happening, we make our buffalo sauce, which is two – TWO – ingredients: hot sauce and butter. Hello, simplicity, my name is Annie – lovely to meet you.
Toss the shrimp in buffalo sauce and pile them on top of a romaine leaf stuffed with cabbage. Throw embarrassing amounts of ranch on top, the end – DEVOUR.Print
- Prep Time: 15
- Cook Time: 15
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 8 servings 1x
- 32 oz shrimp, peeled, deveined, tails removed
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 1/2 cups almond flour
- 1/2 cup hot sauce (we like Frank’s)
- 6 tablespoons butter (ghee if whole 30)
- A few hearts of romaine lettuce
- 4 cups (ish) coleslaw mix (the kind with white cabbage, purple cabbage, and carrots)
- Homemade ranch (you can buy it from the store, but our fave homemade recipe is this one!)
- Heat about 1/2 inch of avocado oil in a large skillet over medium high heat
- Set up the breading station for your shrimp. In one bowl, add your beaten eggs + salt and pepper. In another bowl, add your almond flour + salt and pepper. Add each shrimp to the egg mixture and let any excess drip off. Then add the shrimp to the almond flour mixture and toss until coated
- Fry the shrimp in your hot oil in batches until the shrimp are a deeply golden brown on both sides
- Meanwhile, bring your hot sauce to a simmer in a sauce pan
- Add the butter in little bits at a time, whisking to combine. Set aside
- To assemble each lettuce wrap, pile some coleslaw mix (about 1/4 cup) into a romaine lettuce leaf. Add about 3 shrimp on top of the coleslaw and drizzle (don’t be shy!!) with ranch
If you want to keep the shrimp extra crispy, keep the shrimp and sauce separate, and toss the three you need for your lettuce wrap right before assembling and eating. This ensures that they stay extra crunchy and good!
- Serving Size: 2 lettuce leaves, 1/2 cup coleslaw, 6 shrimp, 1/4 cup ranch
- Calories: 606
- Sugar: 4 g
- Fat: 54 g
- Carbohydrates: 8 g
- Fiber: 2 g
- Protein: 33 g
If you make this or any of my other recipes, be sure to Instagram it and hashtag #thegarlicdiaries so I can see!
In the mood for more yummy shrimp recipes? Check these out: