Raise your hand if you agree that stuffed peppers are one of those meals that are just SO satisfying to make? 🙋 It’s kind of like lasagna, you prep the different ingredients/fillings, put it all together, bake, and it comes out in this pretty little package.
Stuffed peppers are like that! The delicious, hearty filling is stuffed into a little pepper cavity – it’s just pretty! And then you each get your own little pepper boat and finish everything off with some sliced avocado and fresh herbs.
Traditionally, stuffed peppers are made with rice, and it’s also not uncommon to see some cheese sprinkled on top, too. I wanted to make a super healthy Whole 30 version that doesn’t sacrifice flavor but also doesn’t have a bunch of rice and cheese!
Thiiiisssssss, you guys. You don’t miss the cheese – the avocado gives you that rich, creamy element that you might miss. You don’t miss the rice – the cauliflower rice gives you that body that you might be looking for.
The flavor is fantastic – no need for the rice and cheese. Promise!
So – what does go into this filling? Let’s chat:
- Ground beef
- Sweet potato
- Cauli rice (I buy mine frozen! Makes it SUPER easy and also has a milder flavor than fresh)
- Fire roasted tomatoes
So – the ground beef is hearty and yummy. The fire roasted tomatoes, garlic, cumin, and oregano give a smoky, flavorful punch. The sweet potato and nutmeg balance out some of that smoky, spiced flavor. And then it all roasts in the oven together and the flavor of the pepper mingles in there with everything too. PERFECTION, y’all. You will love!Print
Whole 30 Stuffed Peppers
Whole 30 and Paleo friendly, these stuffed peppers are the perfect healthy and satisfying weeknight meal!
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 50 mins
- Total Time: 1 hour
- Yield: 8 servings 1x
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 small sweet potato, peeled and diced
- 4 cups cauliflower rice, I love using frozen! It’s easier and has a milder flavor
- 15 oz can fire roasted tomatoes, not drained
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 4 bell peppers, halved, seeds and ribs scooped out
- Sliced avocado and minced parsley for toppings
- Preheat your oven to 375
- In a large pan, add some olive oil over medium high heat. When hot, add your beef and sweet potatoes – season with salt and pepper. Cook, breaking the meat up and stirring every now and then until beef is cooked through and browned.
- When browned, add your cauliflower rice (if you’re using frozen, you can add it frozen), canned tomatoes, garlic, cumin, oregano, and nutmeg. Stir and cook for a few minutes (if you’re using frozen cauli rice, cook until the rice is warm – won’t take more than a few minutes)
- Season the filling to taste
- Stuff the filling into your pepper halves, drizzle with olive oil, and roast in your preheated oven for 30 minutes
- Remove from the oven, top with sliced avocado and minced parsley, and serve!
- Serving Size: 1 stuffed pepper
- Calories: 249
- Sugar: 6 g
- Sodium: 208 mg
- Fat: 14 g
- Carbohydrates: 18 g
- Fiber: 7 g
- Protein: 14 g
- Cholesterol: 35 mg
If you make this or any of my other recipes, be sure to Instagram it and tag @thegarlicdiaries so I can see!