Broccoli Cheddar Soup is one of my favorite things ever. I don’t know why it’s so good…I mean, broccoli is pretty good but it’s not absolutely delicious or anything. But when you throw it in a soup with some cheese it become sooo yummy. Not to mention a great way to sneak some broccoli into your kids’ bellies. This recipe has two whole heads of it, so it’s not a small amount!
This is such an easy recipe. All you do is throw some stuff in a pot, let it cook for a little bit, and puree it. It’s also cheap to make. Easy, cheap, and tasty. Whose going to say no to that??So you start this soup by chopping the florets off of two heads of broccoli, peeling and grating three carrots, and throwing all that into a pot. Add three cups of 2% milk and three cups of chicken stock (or veggie stock if you are making this vegetarian).
Bring this to a boil, lower the heat, and let the soup simmer for fifteen minutes.
I know…super difficult.
Once the fifteen minutes are up, puree the soup using an immersion blender. If you don’t have one, you can transfer the soup to a food processor or blender and puree it there. The immersion blender is nice because it keeps everything in the same pot! Less clean up :).
Once your soup is all pureed, melt two tablespoons of butter in the microwave to make a roux. Stir in two tablespoons of flour until it forms a thick paste. Whisk this into the soup (if you have an immersion blender, use that instead of a whisk to mix in the roux. Simmer the soup for another five minutes, or until it reaches the thickness that you like.
Meanwhile, grate two cups of sharp cheddar cheese.
Once the five minutes are up, add the cheddar cheese to the soup and stir until melted. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
And you’re done! See? So easy.
Here is the recipe:
- 2 heads broccoli
- 3 carrots
- 3 cups chicken stock (or vegetable stock if you are making this vegetarian)
- 3 cups 2% milk
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups grated sharp cheddar cheese
- Salt and Pepper
- Chop the florets off the heads of broccoli
- Peel and grate the carrots
- Add the vegetables into a pot and cover with the milk and chicken stock (or vegetable stock)
- Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer
- Simmer the soup for 15 minutes
- Using an immersion blender, puree the soup (you can use a food processor or regular blender if you don't have an immersion blender)
- Melt the butter in the microwave, and stir in 2 tablespoons flour
- Stir until it forms a thick paste
- Add this to the soup and blend it for another 5-10 seconds with the immersion blender (you can use a whisk if you don't have the immersion blender)
- Simmer the soup for another five minutes, or until it reaches the thickness you like
- Meanwhile, grate two cups of sharp cheddar cheese
- Once the soup is done cooking, add the cheese and stir until it is melted
- Season the soup to taste