This ice cream. It’s healthy!! Its actually good for you. It’s the equivalent of eating a banana…because that’s basically all that’s in it. I originally found this blended banana ice cream recipe on www.userealbutter.com and decided to create my own spin on it (link to her original recipe can be found at the bottom).
This ice cream literally takes five minutes to make. It’s awesome. And it can kill your chocolate cravings…I get some pretty intense chocolate cravings. The other cool thing about this recipe is that you can change it up and make it your own so easily. Add strawberries as you are blending it and make strawberry banana ice cream! Add caramel, white chocolate, peanut butter, whatever! It’s very customizable. I personally prefer my simple three ingredients :) The vanilla really makes a huge difference.
So you start with four bananas. They look something like this when they are perfectly ripe:
So freeze your bananas until they are rock hard, and then pop them into a food processor.
And then just turn on your food processor and wait! When I first made this years ago, I had a little mini food processor that wasn’t very nice, so it took several minutes for the bananas to come together and make ice cream. However, I got married recently and someone gave us a BANGIN’ new food processor, so this time it literally took 30 seconds for the bananas to turn into creamy deliciousness.
After a little bit the bananas will look like this:
At some point your food processor blade might be spinning but it looks like nothing is moving or happening. At that point, you want to remove the lid and pack the bananas down into the bowl. Like so…
When it looks like this, you are done!
Add your coco powder and vanilla! I really think the vanilla takes this to a whole new level. It brings depth and makes the ice cream taste like it has way more than just three simple ingredients.
And then stir it all together with your spatula! This helps the ice cream melt a little and come together even more…you’ll see what I mean in a few pictures :).
Yum. Does that look healthy to you? It looks like creamy chocolate goodness to me. This is definitely the way I prefer to eat my bananas. It hasn’t come together all the way yet though, keep stirring until it’s uniform. Or not…it’s good this way too.
You can absolutely eat it right away like this, or you can pop it in the freezer for a few hours to let it firm up a little more. Both ways are equally acceptable and tasty.
Just three little ingredients.
Here is the recipe:
- Four ripe bananas
- 1 tablespoon coco powder
- ⅛ teaspoon vanilla extract
- Slice up your bananas into ½ inch disks and freeze them overnight or until they are rock hard
- Put your bananas into a food processor and blend until they come together into a puree, scraping down the sides periodically
- If your food processor blades are spinning but nothing is happening, press the banana mixture down into the blades with a rubber spatula. You may need to repeat this process a few times
- Once the bananas have come together into a puree and there aren't any sizable chunks, scoop the banana mixture into a mixing bowl
- Add the coco powder and vanilla and, using a rubber spatula, fold the mixture together until it is mixed, smooth, and one uniform color
- You can either eat the "ice cream" right away or put it in the freezer to firm up a little bit
This recipe is adapted from http://userealbutter.com/2010/08/12/single-ingredient-ice-cream-recipe/