Warning: I am hungry. So if I seem even more enthusiastic about the food than usual…that is probably why.
Paired with the fact that I am already EXTREMELY enthusiastic about these wings, things might get weird. You guys…….these wings….these winngggssssss. No words….just tears….?????.
I never really, truly, fully, completely believed that you could achieve the perfect wings in the oven. That is, wings that are JUST as good as deep fried, SUPA crispy wings. I knew you could make really yummy baked wings, but not perfect. These wings totally and completely exceeded every expectation that I ever had for any baked wings in the entire world of chicken wing goodness.
The skin…so, so crispy. The sauce…so flavorful and perfect.
These wings are everything. They are my love language. I say this as I stuff cheez-its in my face…so maybe just food in general is my love language?
Let’s be real…we know that’s probably true.
Let me just run you through this magical process.
- Lay out wings on a baking sheet. Dry skin completely with paper towels (the drier the wings, the crispier the skin!!).
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Bake for 45 delicious minutes.
- Make your sauce…Soy sauce. Brown sugar. Sriracha. Sesame oil. Garlic. Rice vinegar.
- Whisk and boil for several minutes until thick!
- Brush on wings.
- Broil for a few minutes until the sauce bubbles on the skin.
- Remove from oven. Eat. Effectively transport yourself to crispy, sticky chicken wing heaven and never come back.
Here’s my plan for life: pretend that I have moved to a foreign country. Become a hermit, never leave my house, and make these wings for every meal. Never share with anyone except for Boone and Seth (maybe). Die happy.
As a change of subject from these delicious chicken wings, we might have a snow day tomorrow! Aka no school. Aka sleep in. I love sleeping in. SO much.
I love my job, and I would actually rather be there during the day then just chillin’ at home. But….I love sleeping in. Which is what a snow day means. Keep your fingers crossed! It probably won’t happen; we are only projected to get a few inches…but hey! It’s possible!
It’s supposed to start snowing in an hour or two here…so it should be a cozy evening! An evening curled up on the couch eating cheez-its…I have been progressively munching on them while writing this blog post. So my initial hunger has died down a bit, yet I am still just as enthusiastic about these wings…so you know they’re legit and it wasn’t just my hungry stomach talking them up ?!
You will not regret trying these!! Bake up a batch (or five…let’s be real) of these wings, and keep your fingers crossed that I get a snow day tomorrow!
- 4 pounds chicken wings and drumettes
- For the sauce:
- ½ cup soy sauce (or Tamari if gluten free)
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 2 teaspoons rice vinegar
- ½ teaspoon Sriracha
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- Preheat your oven to 425
- Lay your chicken wings out on a baking sheet skin side up
- Pat the wings down with a paper towel until the skin is very dry (drier the skin, crispier the wings!)
- Season lightly with salt and pepper
- Bake for 45 minutes
- Meanwhile, make the sauce
- To make the sauce, add all ingredients to a small pot and bring to a boil
- Boil for several minutes until the sauce is thick. Set aside
- When the wings are done, remove them from the oven and run a spatula underneath them to separate them from the pan (some of them are really going to want to stick!!)
- Using a pastry brush, brush the sauce all over top of the wings
- Turn your oven to broil and place the wings back in the oven
- Broil for a few minutes until the sauce bubbles on the skin of the wings
- *Note: this is a doubled version of my initial sauce recipe because I had "just" enough for the wings. So if you don't use all of this sauce, that's okay! Just use as much as you want. You can also use the extra for dipping if you want :).
*This recipe is gluten free*
In the mood for more yummy chicken recipes? Check these out: