Okay, these are officially a new fave. I am totally obsessed. I could seriously make a batch of these and have them around at all times and never get sick of them eeeeevvvvaaaaaaaaa. They are:
- SOOOO flavorful
- Fun to make
And you feel amazing after eating them.
This is what I would consider a “Hail Mary” recipe. Meaning as I was buying the groceries to make these burgers and as I was actually making them, I was slightly skeptical they would turn out well and was just wingin’ it. Grinding up the salmon yourself in a food processor? Making burgers? Ehhhhhhh…probably not going to turn out well. False. So false.
It turns out that when you grind your own salmon in a food processor and make burgers, everything happy and wonderful in the world transfers into these patties of salmon burger deliciousness.
Also, let me just say this. There is something so satisfying about grinding up your own salmon to make these burgers. Maybe because it feels even more “from scratch” and fresh? Not sure why, but it is so much fun! You throw your chunked up salmon into your food processor, pulse several times, and BAM. Fresh ground salmon ??????.
Then, into your delicious fresh ground salmon, you add several things that make these burgers even more fantastic and flavorful:
- Lemon juice
- Lemon zest
- Dijon mustard
- Egg and whole wheat Panko (to help hold it all together)
I mean…come on, people. Who can say no to that? Mix all of that flavor together and form adorable little patties.
My big concern with these burgers was that they wouldn’t stay together while cooking. A lot of the time when you make a burger out of more “unique” ingredients, they tend to fall apart on you in the pan. This wasn’t the case at ALL with these babies. They stayed together just as well as a ground beef burger would.
Cue angels singing ?? .
And then…the sauce…theee ssaauucceeee…
I could seriously eat this with a spoon all by itself. It brings so much flavor and bright creaminess to these salmon burgers. There are no words. It is equally delicious, if not more so, than the burgers themselves. SO…much…yumminess. I know I say this a lot (and I promise that I mean it every time!), but these are one of my favorite things ever, and I could eat them erryday.
Okay, people. The countdown is FIVE DAYS. Five days until school is officially, officially, officially over and summer break starts! One of my favorite parts about being a teacher is getting to experience the excitement of summer break like we did when we were kids. I never really got that in college because I took summer classes every year. So it really hasn’t been since high school that I’ve had the giddy excitement that comes with summer.
I love my job – I really do – but I am so excited for these next few months! So today, Monday, and Tuesday the kids have finals. Then on Wednesday, we have our last-day-of-school festivities (fun games and things like that), and on Thursday I come in and finish with all my grading and officially get my check out done to make sure my room is clean and all that jazz. And then it’s summmaaaaaaaaa ☀️☀️☀️.
Hey. You know what’s summery? These salmon burgers. I COMMAND YOU TO MAKE THEM NOW.
Just kidding. But fo reals. Make them.
For you 21 Day Fix people, here are your container amounts:
- 2 red containers (salmon, Greek yogurt, and egg)
- 1/8 yellow container (bread crumbs)*
- 1 teaspoon (olive oil)
*This yellow basically isn’t even enough to count, but if you want to be SUPER exact, that is the container measurement you would use!*
*The shallot, lemon juice, lemon zest, dijon mustard, capers, dill, and garlic, are “free”*
Click here to see more 21 Day Fix recipes!Print
Salmon Burgers with Dill Caper Yogurt sauce
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 15 mins
- Total Time: 30 mins
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- 2 pounds salmon
- 2 tablespoons shallot, minced (about 1 shallot)
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup whole wheat Panko
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 4 teaspoons olive oil
- For the sauce:
- 1/2 cup Greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon capers, pickling liquid drained
- 1 tablespoon dill, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic, grated
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees
- Remove the skin from the salmon, and dice the meat into cubes
- Place the cubes of salmon into your food processor and pulse until the salmon is ground (about the consistency of ground beef or ground turkey)
- Remove the salmon to a medium bowl and add your egg, whole wheat Panko, shallot, lemon zest, lemon juice, salt, and dijon mustard along with a little bit of black pepper
- Mix together until thoroughly combined
- Evenly separate this mixture into 4 parts, and make patties out of each
- In a large skillet, heat your olive oil over medium to medium high heat
- Sear your patties for about 3-5 minutes per side, until they are a deep golden brown
- Place the pan in your preheated oven and bake for about 3 minutes or until the salmon burgers are cooked through
- Meanwhile, for your sauce, mix all ingredients together in a medium bowl (the greek yogurt, lemon juice, capers, dill, and garlic) and season to taste with salt and pepper. Let sit until everything else is done
The nutrition information is for one burger and about 2 1/2 tablespoons of yogurt sauce!
If you make this or any of my other recipes, be sure to Instagram it and hashtag #thegarlicdiaries!
In the mood for more yummy salmon recipes? Check these out: