Apples and peanut butter = such a classic combo.
Seth LOVES apples – we always get a huge bag when we go to the grocery store that I never think he will actually finish in a week, but he always does! “An apple a day keeps the doctor away”…he, his kids, and his grand-kids should be doctor free for their entire lives because of his apple consumption.
I like the taste of apples, but the skin hurts my teeth sometimes (weird? Maybe?) so I don’t usually eat them. Howeeeeever…cooked apples don’t hurt my teeth at all. The apples and the skin get nice and soft and delicious.
So back to the apples and peanut butter combo…
My friend Tim was actually the inspiration behind this recipe – he suggested elevating the classic apples and peanut butter duo to something more unique.
The simple snack is taken to the next level (way next level!) by roasting the fruit with a little bit of brown sugar and butter, and slathering on a thick sauce made with peanut butter, milk, cinnamon, and brown sugar.
It tastes like a classic apple pie and an apple/peanut butter snack collided and morphed into….this.
So….basically it’s awesome…
For the apples, I suggest using a mix of tart and sweet. Slice those babies up and roast ’em.
Hello little brown-sugar-morsels-that-taste-just-like-apple-pie-except-easier-to-eat-and-healthier.
All you have to do for the sauce is heat some peanut butter in a skillet so it gets nice and melty, whisk in your cinnamon and brown sugar, remove from the heat, add the milk, and whisk until it comes together to form a rich, complex (in taste, not in preparation!), delicious peanut butter sauce!
Excuse me while I go and spend some alone time with this sauce and a spoon.
Okay I’m back.
This really is such a super super simple dessert/indulgent snack. Which it kind of has to be because you know me…I’m not a baker. Except for these, my pride and joy.
You can either do the messy-but-prettier-to-photograph technique of “drizzling” (it’s a little too thick to be considered a drizzle…but I don’t know what else to call it) the sauce all over the roasted apples, or you can throw that yummy sauce in a bowl and use it as a dip!
As long as you are getting apples and sauce, you can set it up any way your beautiful heart desires!Print
Roasted Apples with Cinnamon Peanut Butter Sauce
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 15 mins
- Total Time: 20 mins
- Yield: 3-4 servings 1x
- For the Apples:
- 3 apples (you can use a mixture, but at least 2 should be granny smith)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- For the Sauce:
- 2/3 cup peanut butter
- 2 3/4 teaspoons cinnamon
- 2 1/2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 2/3 cup 2% milk
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees
- For the apples:
- Remove the cores from your apples and slice them in about 1/4 – 1/2 inch thick slices
- Place them on a baking sheet
- Melt a tablespoon of butter and pour it over the apples
- Sprinkle on 2 tablespoons of brown sugar and toss until all the apples are coated in brown sugar and butter
- Bake for 10 minutes, remove the pan from the oven and turn the apples using a spatula, and place back in the oven for another 5 minutes
- For the sauce:
- Meanwhile, add the peanut butter to a small skillet over low heat and whisk until hot and melted
- Whisk in your cinnamon and brown sugar
- Turn the burner off and add in your milk
- Whisk until the mixture comes together (it will take about 30 seconds of whisking, maybe more)
- You can either drizzle the sauce over the apples or use the sauce as a dip for the apples – either way works!
*This recipe is gluten free*
Want more dessert ideas? Check these out: