There is a constant lack of snacks in our fridge and pantry. When we go grocery shopping, I never really think to buy stuff for snacks; I just get food to make dinner and assume there will be random left over ingredients to snack on throughout the week.
Seth and I are frequent fridge and pantry visitors – walking over in the search for snacks and rarely finding anything appetizing.
We were talking about our lack of snacks last week and I mentioned how nice it would be if we just went out and bought a bunch of stuff for snacks, portioned everything out, and enjoyed a few weeks of a fridge filled with yummy munchies.
One trip to the grocery store and a few hours later – a portioned fridge!
And let me tell you…it has been so amazing having all these snacks lying around this week! They are all super healthy so you feel great munching on them all day. The best part is, your snacking requires zero time or effort. You just go to the fridge, grab a little pre-portioned snack, and you are good to go!
I have also been taking a few of these to work with me every day to snack on and hold me over until I get off, and it has been so nice and convenient! I am one of those people who wakes up 20 minutes before I have to leave and give myself no time to eat breakfast or make lunch. So being able to grab a few of these and go has been awesome.
So there are a few things you should know if you are going to portion your fridge:
1. I went a little overboard and got a LOT of stuff not knowing it would turn into so many portioned snacks, so I would suggest starting by only using a few of my snack ideas and going up from there.
2. You need a lot of ziplock bags or small tupperwares to portion your fridge. I bought a variety pack of small tupperwares at Wal-mart and did a mixture of the two – bags and tupperwares. I would eventually like to be able to use only small tupperwares so I’m not using and throwing away so many Ziplocks.
3. It is a pretty tedious job initially to portion out all these snacks, but it’s totally worth the effort.
4. You will probably want to clear out an entire drawer of your fridge (my snacks filled two entire drawers) before starting, so you have a nice empty space to put everything.
Here is a list of the different snacks I prepped/made and portioned!
- 1 head of broccoli – chopped into bite size florets and portioned into three Ziplock bags
- 2 bell peppers (any colors) – sliced into sticks and portioned into three small, long tupperwares
- 1 8oz bag of snap peas – portioned into three Ziplock bags
- 1 hothouse cucumber – sliced and portioned into two Ziplocks
- 2 16oz boxes of strawberries – portioned into 5 small tupperwares
- 1 pound bag of baby carrots – portioned into 4 Ziplocks
- Meat, cheese, and pickle rollups – portioned into three Ziplocks
- 9 slices of turkey
- 9 thin slices of cheddar cheese
- 9 mini dill pickles (I used Vlasic Snack’mms)
- Lay the turkey slices down, top with the cheese, top with the pickle.
- Roll everything up together. Each bag should have three rollups
- 30 cheese cubes – portioned into three small tupperwares
- Celery and Almond Chicken Salad – portioned into three small tupperwares
- 1 10oz can chicken
- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise
- 1/2 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 stalk celery
- 1/4 cup chopped almonds
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Mix everything together and portion.
- *We used the chicken salad as a “dip” for veggies*
- Roasted Garlic, Kale Hummus – portioned and used as a dip for veggies
- Turkey, hummus bites – portioned into 2 tupperwares
- 2 whole wheat tortillas
- 10 slices turkey
- 1/2 cup Roasted Garlic, Kale Hummus
- Lay out the each tortilla, spread 1/4 cup of hummus on both, top each with 5 slices of turkey.
- Roll each tortilla up and slice into 1-2 inch circles
- Homemade Greek Yogurt Ranch (mixed Greek yogurt and dry ranch dressing seasoning mix) as a dip for veggies
See what I mean about overboard???
But hey…it was a pain in the butt to make all this stuff but we have been a few happy snackers for the last several days. And we aren’t even close to being out yet :).
Want more yummy snack ideas? Try these!
- Chewy Chocolate Peanut Butter Granola Clusters
- Spicy Greek Yogurt Deviled Eggs
- Brown Butter Popcorn
- Crispy Chickpea and Edamame Oven Snack