Curry and sushi are my two favorite foods – I am mentioning both instead of just curry because I can’t, no matter how hard I try, pick between them. THEY ARE BOTH TOO GOOD DON’T MAKE ME CHOOSE. But speaking of curry in particular, the beautiful curry that you see above is a little non traditional. We throw a bunch of extra goodies in there to make it a little lime-y, slightly sweet, peanut-y, and GLORIOUS.
The flavor is just insane. I could eat it every day. If you don’t like/don’t have shrimp? No problem! Make this with another meat. Or veggies. Or chickpeas. The world is your curried oyster.
Let’s talk more details about this sauce, because it just deserves to be discussed and loved and obsessed over. What exactly is in here?
- Curry paste
- Coconut milk
- Brown sugar
- Peanut butter
- Lime juice
Cook your shrimp in your pan, remove and set aside, and then add all that goodness and let it simmer together for ten minutes. Then add a handful of chopped spinach and some crushed peanuts. Then it goes rice, sauce, shrimp. SO. FREAKING. GOOD.
I could eat this every single day. I LOVE curry in its natural form, but this curry with that little bite of lime juice, sweetness from the brown sugar, and crunch from the peanuts…it’s just too good. Too. Dang. Good.
I can’t wait for you to try it!Print
Peanut Lime Shrimp Curry
This shrimp curry is exploding with flavor and is the perfect, most satisfying meal!
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 20 mins
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 3 servings 1x
- 1 pound of shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 tablespoons red curry paste
- 1 can coconut milk
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 shallot, minced
- 1/2 lime, juiced
- 3 basil leaves, sliced
- 1 tablespoon peanut butter
- 1–2 tablespoons brown sugar (depends on your preference of how subtle you want the sweetness. See instructions below for further info)
- 1/2 cup packed spinach, roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup peanuts, chopped
- In a large, non stick skillet, add a little oil (avocado or coconut work great) over medium high heat
- When hot, add your shrimp and season with salt and pepper. Cook, tossing occasionally, until just cooked through. Set aside
- In the same pan, reduce the heat to medium and add a little more oil + your curry paste, shallot, and garlic
- Cook, stirring often, for a minute or so. To this, add your coconut milk, peanut butter, lime juice, basil, brown sugar, and some salt. The amount of brown sugar you’ll add will depend on how subtle you want the sweetness. Start with 1 tablespoon, whisk to combine, and taste. If you want it a little sweeter, add the other tablespoon
- Let the sauce simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add your spinach and peanuts, and cook until the spinach has wilted and cooked down a bit (just a few minutes). Season to taste with salt!
- To serve, start with a base of rice or cauliflower rice, top with plenty of sauce, and finish off with some shrimp! Optional garnish: more crushed peanuts and some chopped cilantro
If you don’t like shrimp or don’t have shrimp, use a pound of any other meat and follow the same instructions! Just cook the meat and then set aside and make the sauce in the same pan!
If you make this or any of my other recipes, be sure to Instagram it and tag @thegarlicdiaries so I can see!