This dish is seriously the most perfect weeknight meal that ever was. It’s SO easy, SO fast, and it’s super delicious and crowd pleasing. My two toddlers love it, and sometimes my three year old can be picky (especially with meat), so it’s a huge win for us!
The chicken is absolutely loaded with flavor, and it’s super saucy so it’s PERFECT served over rice. Since it’s made with ground chicken, the cook time is quick and the prep time is low! Seriously one of my new faves.
The sauce is the show stealer here – it’s bursting with savory flavor and brightness from the fresh orange. Here’s what we’ve got:
- Fresh orange zest + juice
- Soy sauce
- Rice vinegar
Combine all that together while you brown the chicken, add the sauce to the chicken and let it all simmer together, and then add a cornstarch slurry to thicken things up at the end. You’ve got dinner on the table in less than thirty minutes!
It’s savory from the soy sauce, garlic, and shallot, slightly sweet from the honey, and bright and fresh from the orange juice and zest. The chicken is hearty and tender, and the rice that you serve it over is the perfect bed to soak up all that extra sauce.
Seriously, you guys – it’s a huge win! It doesn’t make a ton (about 3 servings), but it’s an easy recipe to double. When I’ve doubled it, I found it needed a little bit of extra cornstarch, so you can eyeball that and add a little more if the sauce isn’t thick enough for you.Print
Ground Orange Chicken
This crazy quick and simple dinner will become a new weeknight family fave!
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 15 mins
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: 3 servings 1x
- 1 pound ground chicken
- 3 oranges, zest from 1, juice from all 3
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 shallot, minced
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- Heat a large skillet over medium high heat with some olive oil (coconut or avocado also work)
- When hot, add your ground chicken, season with salt and pepper, and break up with a spoon or spatula. Leave it to cook and brown while you start to prep your sauce
- For your sauce, add all the remaining ingredients except for the cornstarch to a medium bowl
- Stir and break up the chicken occasionally and leave it to finish browning while you finish your sauce
- When your chicken has browned, add your sauce, stir to combine, and simmer for 5 minutes
- Meanwhile, add your cornstarch to a small bowl and stir together with just enough water to make it liquidy and pourable
- Stir the slurry into your simmering sauce and cook for a few more minutes until the sauce has thickened. Season to taste with salt and pepper!
This is perfect served over rice! Jasmine is our fave.
- Serving Size: 1/3 of the chicken
- Calories: 307
- Sugar: 20 g
- Sodium: 757 mg
- Fat: 7 g
- Saturated Fat: 1 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 30 g
- Fiber: 7 g
- Protein: 32 g
- Cholesterol: 120 mg
If you make this or any of my other recipes, be sure to Instagram it and tag @thegarlicdiaries so I can see!
Lee Russell says
Its looks good, love to try out, thanks for sharing :)