Snacking is so much fun – it’s even better when your snacks are good for you!
I don’t know about you, but when I want a snack, it’s usually something salty I want. Better yet, something salty and crispy. Enter crispy chickpea and edamame oven snacks.
These will satisfy any crunchy, salty snack craving.
I love the mixture of the edamame and the chickpeas, they play off of each other so nicely.
Did I mention how easy this recipe is? It’s super easy.
And it starts with canned chickpeas and frozen edamame.
My grocery store doesn’t carry edamame that have already been removed from their pods, so I had to remove the edamame by hand. It took a little while, but it is so worth it. However, if your grocery store does sell them already shelled (I know I have seen them before in frozen sections), then definitely get those!
So, let’s start!
Preheat your oven to 400 degrees.
Open the cans of chickpeas, dump them into a colander, and rinse them with water for about ten seconds.
So pretty and green :)!
Lay several sheets of paper towels down on your counter and place the chickpeas and edamame on top of them. Using another paper towel, pat them dry. The dryer they are, the crispier they will be.
Dump the chickpeas and edamame onto a baking sheet, drizzle on 1-2 tablespoons of olive oil, and sprinkle with 1 teaspoon of salt, and 1/2 a teaspoon of pepper.
Mix everything together with your hands until the chickpeas and edamame are all evenly coated with seasoning and olive oil.
Spread the chickpeas and edamame out into an single layer so they can all get nice and crispy!
Pop these babies into your 400 degree oven for 15 minutes. Pull them out and, using a spatula, flip them over and stir them around. Spread them out into an even layer again, and put them back in the oven for another 15 minutes.
And then they are done! Yay!
These are best and crispiest when they are fresh, but they still have great flavor days later. They are perfect for a salty snack, and they are also great on top of salads!!
**Note: your cooking time may vary from mine–my oven seems to take longer than other people’s. Just make sure you are checking on your chickpeas and edamame so they don’t burn!**
Here is the recipe:
- 2 16 oz cans chickpeas (garbanzo beans)
- 1½ cup edamame (2 10 oz steambags if you buy them in the pods)
- 1-2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees
- Open your cans and dump your chickpeas into a colander
- Rinse with water for about 10 seconds
- Thaw and shell your edamame (unless you bought the pre-shelled kind--in that case, just make sure they are thawed)
- Lay out several sheets of paper towels, and place the chickpeas and edamame on top
- Using another few sheets of paper towels, pat the chickpeas and edamame dry
- Transfer the chickpeas and edamame to a baking sheet
- Drizzle with 1-2 tablespoons olive oil and the salt and pepper
- Mix together with your hands until the chickpeas and edamame are all evenly coated with olive oil and seasoning
- Spread them out into a single layer on the baking sheet
- Bake for 15 minutes
- Take out of the oven and, using a spatula, turn the chickpeas and edamame over and stir around
- Spread them back out into an even layer
- Place in the oven for another 15 minutes
- Remove the baking sheet from the oven and place on a cooling rack
- Let the chickpeas and edamame cool for a few minutes before eating them