This is such a yummy, flavorful, and HEALTHY meal!
The pesto is really the key here, guys.
It is a very non traditional pesto – so put away your basil and pine nuts and whip out your spinach, arugula, and almonds!
Proceed to whiz together and pour embarrassing amounts on every type of food in your refrigerator.
This dish is packed with so much protein and healthy ingredients that it almost isn’t fair how good it tastes. It’s like cheating. Something so healthy shouldn’t taste so delicious!
Oh…hello food processor full of perfect, fresh ingredients..
BAM! I just want to eat it for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. I can eat it straight from the bowl with a spoon and call it salad right? Since it’s made with mostly spinach and arugula? Okay, good. Just checking.
I know you nice people won’t judge me if I sneak a spoon full or two when I wake up. And as a snack before dinner. And maybe a post dinner snack too? I’ll stop.
I am sorry for being so inconsistent with my posts lately! I have just been trying to find my rhythm with making time to cook and post throughout the week now. The recent string of fail recipes (UGH) didn’t help things, either.
But don’t worry! I made three recipes this past weekend, and they were all big hits. So I got three posts comin’ atcha this week!
An update on Boone and Blitz…they are slowly but surely bonding as the days go by. Blitz now lets Boone lick her repeatedly even though every time he does it literally knocks her on her side…which doesn’t stop him. He continues the assault while she is on the ground. But she just sits there and takes it – it’s pretty dang cute.
So he is very interested in her. Her interest in him begins and ends with swiping at his tail when it wags back and forth…other than that she pretty much ignores him apart from the occasional hiss and swat. Poor Boonie just wants to play…he doesn’t realize he’s 80 pounds. He thinks they are the same size.
Now go and cook this delicious, healthy meal and make your tummy and body very happy :)!
- For the pesto:
- 1 cup arugula
- 1 cup spinach
- 1 clove garlic
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- ¼ cup almonds
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise
- Salt and pepper
- ¼ - ½ cup water
- For everything else:
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 cups vegetable stock (chicken stock or water works too)
- 1 red pepper, diced into large chunks
- 1 red onion, diced into large chunks
- 1 head of broccoli, sliced into florets
- 1 small sweet potato, peeled and chopped into small cubes (if they are too big they won't cook in time with the other vegetables)
- 1 bunch green onions, sliced
- 4 oz goat cheese
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees
- Prepare your pesto by combining the spinach, arugula, almonds, garlic, Parmesan, and olive oil in a food processor
- Turn on and let mix until everything combines into a thick paste. Add your mayonnaise
- Turn back on and slowly drizzle in water until the pesto is the consistency you desire (I used somewhere between ¼ and ½ cup of water)
- Season to taste with salt and pepper
- Bring your stock and quinoa to a boil in a small pot
- Reduce to a simmer and let cook for 15 minutes, set aside
- When your oven is preheated, place all your chopped vegetables (except for the green onions) onto a baking sheet, drizzle olive oil over top, and sprinkle with salt and pepper
- Mix everything together with your hands until the vegetables are evenly coated
- Roast for about 20 minutes, or until the sweet potatoes are tender when pierced with a knife
- Taste and add more salt if needed
- To assemble, start with the quinoa, add some roasted veggies, some crumbled goat cheese, green onions, and your pesto (don't be shy with the pesto!!)
*This recipe is gluten free*
If you make this or any of my other recipes, be sure to Instagram it and hashtag #thegarlicdiaries!
In the mood for more quinoa recipes? Check these out: