Okay! We are pressing play on the Instant Pot series that I had to interrupt with Whole 30 goodness. So put your Instant Pot pants back on again, because I’ve got this deliciousness plus a handful of others comin’ your way! It definitely wasn’t ideal to start my Instant Pot series and then cut it off in the middle but…#planningfail. My B.
This delicious, and cheesy, might I add, turkey taco pasta is my peace offering. Take it and accept it and join back into Instant Pot mode with me. It should be a seamless transition because who can say no to a big, steaming pot of cheesy, taco-y (word?) pasta just begging to be eaten by the
ladle-full spoon full. I know I can’t, but maybe you’re a stronger person than me. But if eating copious amounts of this pasta is wrong, then I don’t wanna be right, nahmean?
There are a few extra cool things about this pasta:
- It’s made in an Instant Pot, which basically means it takes negative a million hours to make and zero effort. Once we actually turn the pot on (after we do a saute step + the time it takes to come to pressure), we have a 4 minute cook time. I mean…? Cha.
- It’s lightened up and skinny-fied (COPYRIGHTING IT). How, may you ask? Good question. First of all, we use super lean turkey. Second, we use whole wheat pasta. Third, we use almond milk instead of regular milk. We also use reduced fat cheese, but I’m not going to lie to you – we add an entire two cups, because #cheese. BUT – it makes 8 servings, so 2 cups of cheese spread through that isn’t so bad, right? Right.
Now let’s discuss the crazy easy process that goes into this pasta:
- Brown some ground turkey using the saute setting of your Instant Pot with some olive oil, salt, and pepper
- Once it’s browned, add a super yummy homemade taco seasoning mix and stir it all together
- Throw in your pasta and chicken broth
- Close the lid, seal the vent, and cook on high pressure for four minutes. YES THAT’S RIGHT FOUR – I love you, Instant Pot.
- Remove the lid, add the almond milk and cheese, and stir to creamy, cheesy perfection
This pasta is hearty, satisfying, coated lightly in a creamy, cheesy, taco reminiscent sauce that will make you feel like you mashed together some healthy mac and cheese + a taco in the most beautiful way possible. BUT, twist, it happened in like two seconds and took zero effort because that’s the Instant Pot for ya. Hence why it’s my new bestie. Can I be besties with inanimate kitchen objects? I’m going to answer that with a blanket “yes” and hear no arguments.
Alright you guys…speaking of Instant Pots, I have to tell you about the meanest April Fool’s joke my brother played on me the other day. So, it was April 1st, and I kept getting calls from what my caller ID was calling an “Unknown Number,” so I assumed it was a solicitation.
But they kept calling, so by the third call, I was like – FINE – and answered. This dude answers and asks if “this is Annie Chesson from The Garlic Diaries.” I say yes, obviously, and he goes on to say he’s a representative from Instant Pot and has received information that I have been posting recipes using an Instant Pot. He says that they have an extremely strict copyright policy on their products and asked me if I specifically requested permission from Instant Pot before posting recipes using their products on my blog. I said no, that I assumed I didn’t need to, and he went on to say that they are currently in the middle of a big class action lawsuit against bloggers who have been posting about the Instant Pot without permission…and he said they are charging a certain amount, I don’t remember what, per view on every Instant Pot post.
GASP. I was freakin’ out man. Like…my legs were numb. And I basically blacked out the entire conversation and don’t remember any of my responses. Then at then end he was like “ma’am do you also know today is April Fool’s Day?” and then started talking in his actual voice and I recognized who it was. SO BITTER ABOUT THIS.
Firstly, I don’t know how he masked his voice so well to where I didn’t recognize it. Secondly, I almost collapsed into a ball of anxiety during this phone call, thinking I broke some big law and was about to get the pants sued off of me. Thirdly, I must admit it was a clutch April Fool’s Joke, but I’m still bitter about it 😡. And I am determined to achieve vengeance some day.
Must comfort self with copious amounts of cheesy taco pasta…Print
Instant Pot Cheesy Turkey Taco Pasta
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 10 mins
- Total Time: 15 minutes
- Yield: 8 servings 1x
- 19 oz 99% fat free ground turkey *see note about amount*
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes
- 16 oz whole wheat pasta (I used shells)
- 32 oz chicken broth
- 1 cup almond milk
- 2 cups reduced fat cheddar cheese
- Cilantro (optional topping)
- Turn your Instant Pot to the saute setting on high and add your olive oil
- When hot, add your ground turkey and season with salt and pepper. Saute, breaking up with a wooden spoon into small pieces, until the turkey has browned
- When browned, stir in your seasonings (the paprika, garlic powder, chili powder, cumin, and pepper flakes) until the turkey is all evenly coated
- Add in your pasta and chicken broth, stir to combine, close the Instant Pot lid, seal the vent, and cook on manual high pressure for 4 minutes
- When the 4 minutes are up, quick release the pressure and remove the lid
- Pour in the almond milk and cheddar cheese, and let it all sit for a few minutes to let the cheese melt a bit. Stir until everything has fully combined and the cheese is all melted
- Season to taste with salt and pepper and serve! Cilantro is a yummy but optional topping
*My local grocery stores and Target sell ground turkey in 19 oz packages. If yours doesn’t, a pound/a pound and a half will work just as well in this recipe!*
Total recipe time does not include time it will take the Instant Pot to come to pressure.
- Serving Size: 1 cup
- Calories: 396
- Sugar: 3 g
- Sodium: 294 mg
- Fat: 11 g
- Carbohydrates: 44 g
- Fiber: 7 g
- Protein: 32 g
- Cholesterol: 62 mg
If you make this or any of my other recipes, be sure to Instagram it and hashtag #thegarlicdiaries!
In the mood for more Instant Pot recipes? Check these out: