I mean…is it cool that I’m sliding another chocolate + peppermint recipe in here two weeks in a row, or is that too repetitive? Does it make any difference if I tell you that these cookies are super simple and will fill your whole body with Christmas joy?
It’s honestly hard for me to even think of any desserts or treats during Christmas that don’t involve peppermint in one way or another…it’s just so Christmasy to me. So, just bear with me in my overload of peppermint goodness here and listen to this very important instruction: YOU MUST MAKE THESE IMMEDIATELY.
They are easy. They are chewy. They are soft. They are addicting. They are Christmasy. Did I mention they are easy? Beeeecause they are. I can tell you right now, I am an extremely reliable source on what is and isn’t easy when it comes to desserts, because I am the world’s worst baker. Absolutely hopeless. So if I can make something successfully, TRUST ME – you can make it too.
The main reason these are so dang easy is because our main ingredient here is…can you guess? Ding, ding, ding – cake mix! The cake mix does all the work for us. My least favorite part of baking is that you have to pull out every dry ingredient + measuring cup and spoon in your entire kitchen to make a batch of brownies…I just don’t find it fun…but with cake mix cookies, the box does all the work for you!
Here’s all you do for these:
- Add your cake mix to a stand mixer bowl + an egg, some cream cheese, some vegetable oil, a little peppermint extract, a handful of crushed peppermints, and mix that all together.
- Once it’s mixed, add some crushed oreos and mix lightly until that’s just combined.
Bam. Bake ’em up and you’re done. Very little measuring, very little extra ingredients, very little work. One unique thing thing about these cookies is that they will basically stay in the same position from pre baking through post baking. Meaning if you use a cookie scoop and just plop down little spheres of dough, the cookies will bake up that way, kind of looking like a slightly flatter coconut macaroon. They spread a little, but not much. Now, you might like that look and want to do it that way, but the way I like to do it is to use a cookie scoop and scoop the sphere of dough into my hand, roll it into a perfect little ball, and then squish it out into disk and place that on the baking sheet. That way they turn out looking like the most perfect little cookies you’ve ever seen. And they taste pretty dang perfect, too, if I do say so myself.Print
Peppermint Oreo Crunch Cake Mix Cookies
- Yield: About 35 cookies 1x
- 1 box white cake mix
- 1 egg
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 1/4 cup crushed peppermint candies
- 1 sleeve of oreos, crushed (about 1 1/2 cups when crushed)
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees
- Add all ingredients except the crushed oreos to a stand mixer bowl (or regular large bowl if you don’t have a stand mixer) and mix until combined
- Add your crushed oreos and mix just until combined
- Scoop about 1 tablespoon of dough at a time into your hand and roll into a ball. Press that ball into a disk and add to a parchment paper lined baking sheet. Repeat until the baking sheet is full, and bake the cookies for 8-10 mins (9 was perfect for us). The cookies will be very soft when you remove them from the oven, but that doesn’t mean they aren’t done. They set pretty quickly
If you would rather these cookies be more of a “mound” (kind of like coconut macaroon), then just scoop the dough into spheres right down on the baking sheet. They will basically keep the same form throughout baking, so if you want them to flatten out like regular cookies, you’ll need to press them into disks before popping them in the oven.
If you make this or any of my other recipes, be sure to Instagram it and hashtag #thegarlicdiaries!
In the mood for more yummy Christmas recipes? Check these out: