Anyone I went to middle school or high school with would be shocked that I am posting a recipe for ketchup. I was known to have quite the ketchup aversion throughout those years of my life. NO idea where it came from, but it really grossed me out, and in certain instances it would actually make me sick! Like if it was on the side of a cup…or dried onto a table…or on a napkin. I know…super random and weird.
Since then I have grown to like ketchup more and more – it’s still not my favorite, but I will eat it sparingly with french fries every now and then.
Now, home made ketchup on the other hand…that’s an entirely different story. I could literally eat this stuff with a spoon…and I did. I had several spoon fulls. It still has the taste of ketchup, but it also has so many other things going on in the background that make it SO much better. There’s really no comparison between store bought and this magic deliciousness!
This ketchup has the tangy, slightly sweet flavor that you would find in your average bottle, but it also has sauteed peaches and jalapenos thrown in there as well. I didn’t want to add so many peaches and chilies that you couldn’t recognize the flavor of ketchup anymore, so the additions aren’t overwhelming, they are just meant to add some unique taste and kick to the sauce. Which they definitely do!
I actually had two pots of ketchup going at once; one had sauteed peaches and jalapenos, and the other had roasted peaches with the jalapenos. I wanted to see if roasting the peaches would add even more depth of flavor to the ketchup, but I actually ended up liking the non-roasted-peaches version better. The flavors came out clearer and stronger in my opinion.
Which works out great for you because it’s way less work!
Speaking of work…this ketchup is super easy to make. Chop up some peaches and jalapenos, saute them, add some canned tomatoes along with some spices and BAM…ketchup. Ketchup that is WAY better than any ketchup you will find in the grocery store. I can promise you that right now.
This ketchup would be perfect for a gift, or you can make a bunch of it for yourself and freeze it in batches!
Also…this opens up a whole new world of flavored ketchup ideas..I am inspired.
Go make ketchup!
Here is the recipe:Print
Peach Jalapeno Ketchup
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 35 mins
- Total Time: 50 mins
- Yield: 4 cups of ketchup 1x
- 3 peaches
- 2 jalapenos – seeds and ribs removed
- 2 28 oz cans crushed tomatoes
- 1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons (6 tablespoons total) white distilled vinegar
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 2 tablespoons white sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon celery salt
- Cut your peaches in half, remove the pit and peel them using a knife
- Dice the peeled peaches
- Slice each jalapeno in half and remove the ribs and seeds
- Finely mince the jalapeno
- Heat some olive oil in a large pot or dutch oven
- When the pan is hot, add in the peaches and jalapenos along with a little salt and pepper
- Saute for about 5 minutes
- Add the tomatoes and stir to combine, scraping any bits off the bottom of the pan that have stuck from the peaches and jalapenos
- Puree this mixture. You can either use a food processor, blender, or immersion blender (stick blender). I would recommend a food processor so it really purees it well
- Add the pureed sauce back into your pot
- Now add the rest of the ingredients: the vinegar, garlic powder, onion powder, sugar, salt, and celery salt
- Stir together and bring to a boil
- Reduce to a simmer and cook, covered for 30 minutes
- Transfer to jars and let cool before storing it in the refrigerator
*Vegan and Gluten Free*
If you make this or any of my other recipes, make sure to Instagram them and hashtag #thegarlicdiaries!