Alright, before I dive in here, I hate that I’m posting this after the start of fall because it is such a summery recipe, BUT – I wrote and photographed the recipe before I started maternity leave, and it’s so SO good that I just have to post it anyway. Even though fall has begun and we want all the fall foods right now! If you live in a place that’s still super warm and feels summery, give this pasta a shot before you dive head first into your fall recipes for the year.
I really think – REALLY, TRULY – think that this pasta is one of my favorite pastas I’ve ever made. It is absolutely delicious. It’s slightly creamy (but not heavy), it’s bright, it’s garlicky, it’s hearty from the grilled squash, and it’s slightly herby and floral from the basil. I am absolutely obsessed.
There’s a few things going on simultaneously at the beginning of this magical process: 1. the pasta is cooking, 2. the squash is grilling and get tender and charred, and 3. the flavor base for our sauce is cooking.
The sauce base is almost like a vinaigrette that we simmer/saute together, and it coats the pasta like a dream, adding tons of brightness and flavor. We’ve got:
- Lemon juice
- Lemon zest
- Olive oil
Once this has been simmering for about 5 minutes, we set it aside and add the squash and pasta when those are both ready. The only finishing steps are adding your torn burrata cheese + basil and stirring to combine!
The combination of flavors here is absolutely KILLER. It’s the epitome of a perfect end of summer pasta. The sauce is bright and garlicky, the burrata is creamy and lightly coats the pasta in a fresh, cheesy goodness, the squash is tender and has delicious charred flavor from the grill, the basil is fresh and herby. Get everything together in one fork-full and it’s the ACTUAL perfect bite!
It’s also simple to make. It’s a must have ASAP for you all!Print
Grilled Summer Squash and Burrata Pasta
This summer/end of summer recipe is seriously one of my all time favorite pasta dishes! It’s light, flavorful, a little creamy, hearty – it’s perfection!
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 20 mins
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 7 servings 1x
- 1 pound short pasta, I like shells
- 4 yellow squash, cut into thick slices
- 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
- Zest from one lemon
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 5 cloves garlic
- 8 oz burrata cheese
- 1/4 cup basil leaves, sliced
- Bring a large pot of heavily salted water to a boil
- When boiling, add your pasta and cook according to package instructions
- Meanwhile, rub your sliced squash with olive oil, season with salt and pepper, and grill until it’s tender but still has a bite. When that’s finished, dice the grilled squash into bite sized pieces and set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a large pot over medium heat, add a little bit of olive oil and your garlic. Saute for a few minutes, and then add your lemon zest and saute for a minute more
- To this, add your 1/2 cup of olive oil and the lemon juice. Stir, season with salt and pepper, and simmer for 5 minutes and then set aside
- When the pasta is cooked and drained and the squash is grilled and cubed, add the pasta and squash to the pot with your olive oil/lemon juice mixture. Stir to combine and season with salt and pepper
- Top with torn burrata and sliced basil and toss/stir together right before serving!
- Serving Size: 1 of 7
- Calories: 480
- Sugar: 2 g
- Sodium: 172 mg
- Fat: 24 g
- Saturated Fat: 7 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 50 g
- Fiber: 1 g
- Protein: 16 g
- Cholesterol: 29 mg