Ah, the gyro. One of my all time faves. The combo between the juicy, tender meat, soft pita, crunchy veggies, and creamy, super flavorful tzatziki is enough to make me stand up on my chair and do a little jig 💃🏻
If we are at a state fair slash basically anywhere with street food and there’s a gyro truck – seeeeeeeya – you know where to find me!
I like making gyros at home, but I also really like the meat they use in food trucks and restaurants. I think the street food meat is more closely mimicked in meatball form when you are making at-home-versions. Hence….these turkey meatball gyros!
These meatballs make gyros a super achievable week night meal for you that is loaded with all kinds of yummy Greek flavor.
We’ve got the traditional veggie pairings: tomato, cuke, red ernion. We’ve got the soft pita that you steam in the microwave so it’s pliable and pillowy. We’ve got the juicy meatballs that are loaded up with all kinds of Greek flavors: oregano, minced onion, garlic powder, dill, and a splash of red wine vinegar. We’ve got the TZATZIKI. Is there anything better than a solid tzatziki sauce? Is it uncommon for someone to have the desire to rub it on their skin like lotion? Asking for a friend.
Tzatziki is so simple but absolutely mouthwateringly delicious. All you’ve got is some Greek yogurt, cucumber, lemon juice, dill, and garlic. Throw some salt in there and call it a day.
And there ya go, friends. Greek street food at home in your very own kitchen. Go crazy.Print
Turkey Meatball Gyros
4 Freestyle SmartPoints per serving!
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 6 gyros 1x
For the meatballs
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried minced onion
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon dried dill
- 1/2 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
For the tzatziki
- 2 cups non fat Greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 hot house cucumber, peeled, halved, seeds scooped out, and grated with a cheese grater
- 1/2 teaspoon dried dill
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
For the assembly
- 6 pita rounds
- cucumber, sliced
- red onion, sliced
- tomato, diced
For the meatballs:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Combine all meatball ingredients together in a large bowl. Form meatballs with one heaping tablespoon of meat for each ball.
- Place meatballs on a parchment paper lined baking sheet and bake for 10 minutes. Remove from the oven, flip, and bake for another 5 minutes
For the tzatziki
- Add the grated cucumber to a dishtowel, wrap the towel around the cucumber, and squeeze as hard as you can a few times to get all the moisture you can from the cucumber.
- Add the cucumber to a bowl with the rest of your tzatziki ingredients, season to taste, and stir to combine
- Wrap your pita bread in wet paper towels and microwave until the pita is very soft and very pliable. To assemble, add veggies, 3-4 meatballs (I find it easier to slice the meatballs in half and then add them), and lots of tzatziki!
This recipe is 4 Freestyle SmartPoints per gyro! The only thing that counts as points in this recipe is the pita bread. The pita bread I bought was 4 points per round, but you might want to double check yours.
- Serving Size: 1 gyro
- Calories: 260
- Sugar: 7 g
- Sodium: 397 mg
- Fat: 4 g
- Carbohydrates: 28 g
- Fiber: 5 g
- Protein: 30 g
- Cholesterol: 74 mg
If you make this or any of my other recipes, be sure to Instagram it and hashtag #thegarlicdiaries!