Since I was a little girl, Jalapeno Poppers have been my all time favorite snack food. BUT they have to be the kind with cheddar cheese inside…cream cheese = no go.
I love finding different ways to include the flavors of Jalapeno Poppers into other foods – sandwiches, dips, or this burger!
The roasted jalapenos and cheese stuffed inside the ground beef give these burgers the delicious Jalapeno Popper flavor that I have a mild (maybe not so mild) obsession with.
When I was in high school, I was coming back from math tutoring one night and walked in the front door to the smell of delicious Jalapeno Poppers. I walked into the kitchen and my brother and dad had a baking sheet with about 5 poppers left on it.
I grabbed one, bit into it, and noticed it tasted a little different. A few seconds later I was over the sink spitting out what I can only describe as the spiciest bite of food I had ever put in my mouth…EVER.
My brother was cracking up in the corner of the kitchen because he had bought a few habanero peppers, chopped them up SUPER finely, carefully sliced off the top of a Jalapeno Popper, pulled out the jalapeno and cheese inside, and stuffed his chopped habaneros in there instead. And that is what I had eaten. I still need to find a way to get him back for that……
But even that painful experience wasn’t enough to turn me off from the delicious snack.
I made these last week when I was in Washington visiting my brother, sister-in-law, and adorable niece. Remember in the last post when I said I would post a few pictures of her from the trip?
Yeah. That’s the reason I have been so behind on my posts. I couldn’t pull myself away from this beautiful baby girl!
Anyway, the burgers were a huge hit with everyone in Washington!
If you love Jalapeno Poppers you will looove these burgers!Print
Jalapeno Popper Cheeseburger
- Prep Time: 30 mins
- Cook Time: 10 mins
- Total Time: 40 mins
- Yield: 6 burgers 1x
- 4 jalapeno peppers
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese plus extra for a topping
- 2 pounds lean ground beef
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 6 hamburger buns
- 1 onion
- 1 head of romaine lettuce
- Turn your to broil on high
- Place your jalapenos on a foil lined baking sheet
- Place the baking sheet on the highest grate in your oven and let the jalapenos char
- When the jalapenos are black and charred on the top, take the baking sheet out of the oven and turn the jalapenos over
- Continue this until the jalapenos are charred all the way around
- Place them in a bowl and cover tightly with saran wrap
- Let them sit for 5 minutes
- Take each jalapeno out of the bowl and peel the skin off – it should come off easily after being roasted and steamed
- Finely chop the jalapenos (I left the ribs and seeds in, but if you don’t like spicy food you can take them out)
- Shred the cheddar cheese
- In a large bowl add the ground beef, jalapenos, cheese, and 2 teaspoons of salt
- Mix the meat together with your hands until everything is combined
- Form the meat into 6 patties and grill on each side until cooked through, melting a little bit of cheddar cheese on top of each patty during the last few minutes
- Place on a whole wheat bun and top with onions and lettuce!
*Gluten free? Try using a lettuce wrap instead of a bun!*
Want more yummy burger recipes? Check these out!