Ohhhhhhh man, you guys, I have been so excited to post this. I recipe tested this dairy free hot cocoa SO many different ways before landing on the perfect version. I tried it with cashew cream, cashew cream/almond milk mix, just almond milk, almond milk and coconut milk, just coconut milk, coconut milk/oat milk mix – SO MANY DIFFERENT COMBOS.
And then I tried it with just oat milk, and it was good but not perfect. And then I increased our hot cocoa base (sugar, cocoa powder, and water) by just a little bit and ended up with THE most delicious mug of rich, deep, chocolatey, PERFECT hot cocoa in the world. I honestly like it more than the regular dairy version I’ve made in previous years. It is absolute HEAVEN.
If homemade hot cocoa is new for you, you’re about to be blown away by how easy it is to make. It’s barely harder than mixing a packet of cocoa into hot milk, but it tastes so. so. so. so. much better!
Here’s what you do:
- Whisk together your cocoa base in a small/medium pot: cocoa powder, sugar, water. Let this heat up just until it’s become one uniform “syrup” (takes almost no time)
- Add your oat milk and whisk to combine. Heat up to whatever temp you want your cocoa to be. For me, it’s hot but not simmering.
- Remove from the heat, add your vanilla, coffee, and a few pinches of salt (you can skip the vanilla and coffee if you want to go super basic, but those few little additions add some nice depth!)
Top with lots of marshmallows, curl up next to your fireplace with a cozy blanket, and sip away. It’s magic.
My 2 year old has a dairy allergy, and it bums me out so much sometimes when he doesn’t get to enjoy things that other kids get to enjoy. Things like mac and cheese, chocolate milk, grilled cheese – basic kid treats/staples. So when I create recipes like this that are dairy free but taste the exact same as their dairy counterpart, it makes me feel like he gets to enjoy things that all the other kids get to enjoy. And I love that. Makes my mama heart extra full 🥰.
But whether you’re normally dairy free or not, friends – this hot chocolate is insanely delicious, and you NEED IT!
Here’s the recipe!Print
Dairy Free 5 Minute Hot Cocoa
You’ll never ever guess that this delicious, rich, insanely chocolatey hot cocoa is dairy free. It’s THE BEST!
- Prep Time: 1 minute
- Cook Time: 4 minutes
- Total Time: 5 minutes
- Yield: 2 servings 1x
- 1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 1/2 cups sugar free oat milk
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon brewed coffee
- A few pinches salt
- In a medium pot, combine your sugar, cocoa powder, and 1/4 cup water over medium high heat. Whisk and let it heat up until it’s all dissolved together into a uniform “syrup” (this happens very fast, almost immediately once it’s warm)
- Add your oat milk and whisk to combine. Heat to your desired temperature (I stop mine when it’s very hot but not simmering)
- Remove from the heat and add your vanilla, coffee, and salt. Whisk to combine and you’re ready to serve!
If you can, find oat milk that specifies that it’s sugar free!
- Serving Size: 1/2 of the cocoa
- Calories: 253
- Sugar: 38 g
- Sodium: 107 mg
- Fat: 2 g
- Saturated Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 56 g
- Fiber: 7 g
- Protein: 1 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg