Breakfast is a struggle. I’m almost never in the mood to cook anything legit when I wake up (unless it’s a weekend), I’m usually rushed to get out the door if we are going anywhere, and even if we aren’t going anywhere, I’m busy getting my son breakfast + taking care of him, so I rarely am able to throw down anything other than a quick bowl of cereal.
If your mornings look anything like that or if you are rushing to get off to work and love to take breakfast with you in the car, theeeesseee breakfast burritos are absolutely perfect for you! Sometimes breakfast burritos can be sketchy…they get really dry in the microwave and end up being packed full of super spongy, dry eggs. Blech. I’m weird about eggs in the first place, so I needed a breakfast burrito recipe that stayed yummy through freezing + microwaving.
These are absolutely perfect for that! I have made these more times than I can count…probably a hundred of these babies have cycled in and out of my freezer. They are super hearty, SUPER loaded up with delicious flavor, and super filling. Breakfast win…HARDCORE BREAKFAST WIN.
If you can’t tell in the picture above, these breakfast burritos are stuffed with waaaaay more than just eggs. That’s why they stay moist. Between the cheese, hash browns, and sausage, the eggs have lots of little buddies and don’t get dry and gross in the microwave.
So – how do we make these delicious little breakfast burritos?
- Bake your hash browns until they’re golden brown and crispy
- Saute your breakfast sausage until it’s perfectly browned and then set it aside in a big bowl
- Add your eggs to the same pan and cook them until they’re just set but still moist and add them to the same bowl with the pork
- Stir in your hash browns when they are done + some cheese
- Stuff each tortilla with about 1/2 cup of filling, roll ’em up, and freeze ’em!
This recipe makes 12 burritos if you are using 1/2 cup of filling with large, burrito sized tortillas.
The microwave time may vary depending on your microwave, but for us, we unwrap them from the foil, wrap them in a paper towel, and microwave each for about 2 1/2 minutes (that’s with just one in the microwave at a time). The best way to figure out your cook time is to test it and then slice the burrito in half and touch the middle to see if it’s hot. After testing one, you will know for the rest of the batch how long they take to microwave.
And there ya go! The easiest breakfast of all time, and it doesn’t hurt that it’s pretty dang yummy too 😍.Print
My Favorite Freezer Breakfast Burritos
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 25 mins
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Yield: 12 burritos 1x
- 4 cups frozen hash browns (we like the shredded kind)
- 1 pound breakfast sausage (we like Jimmy Dean’s pork sausage)
- 1 dozen eggs
- 1 cup cheddar cheese
- 12 large burrito sized flour tortillas
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees
- Lay your hash browns out on a parchment paper lined baking sheet, drizzle with olive oil, and season with salt and pepper
- Bake for 15 minutes, remove from the oven and flip with a spatula, and bake for another 10 minutes, or until the hash browns are getting nice and golden brown
- In a large skillet over medium – medium high heat add your sausage + some salt/pepper and brown, breaking up with a spoon. If the pan gets dry, you can drizzle in some olive oil
- When sausage is nice and brown, add it to a large bowl and turn the heat down to medium
- Add all 12 of your eggs + some salt/pepper to the pan and cook, stirring almost constantly, until the eggs are just set but still moist. Add the eggs to the bowl with the sausage
- When the hash browns are done, add them to the bowl with the sausage and eggs, and stir in your cheese
- Season the whole mixture to taste with salt and pepper, and then add about 1/2 cup of the filling to each tortilla. Roll each tortilla into a burrito, wrap each one in foil, and add to a freezer bag. Pop in the freezer until you are ready to eat!
- When ready to heat up, remove the foil, wrap the burrito in a paper towel, and microwave for 2 1/2 minutes, or until the middle is hot (cook time may vary per microwave)
- Serving Size: 1 burrito
- Calories: 410
- Sugar: 1 g
- Sodium: 573 mg
- Fat: 26 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 21 g
- Fiber: 1 g
- Protein: 23 g
- Cholesterol: 405 mg
If you make this or any of my other recipes, be sure to Instagram it and hashtag #thegarlicdiaries!
In the mood for more yummy breakfast recipes? Check these out: