Do you ever go through food phases? For example, you are in a sandwich phase, so you end up craving and eating a sandwich at least a few times a week. A Qdoba phase (my life) where you end up eating a burrito at least once a week? Basically, by food phase, I mean any time that there is one particular food or food group that you feel like you’re CONSTANTLY craving.
When Seth and I were still living in North Carolina for a few months after we got married, we were in a Jimmy John’s phase. Do you have those where you live? It’s just a sandwich place. Correction…the most delicious sandwich place EVA.
Anyway, we ate there literally every single day for weeks if not months.
So, what does any of this have to do with kale salad? Well, people, I will tell you. I am in a food phase right now. A kale phase. I am literally obsessed with kale right now. I eat it every single day. Whether it’s a kale salad for lunch, a kale salad for dinner, sautéed kale with sausage, or kale soup, I just CAN’T GET ENOUGH OF IT.
I guess there are worse food phases to be in, right?
I mean, at least it’s healthy. At least I’m not craving Taco Bell every day or something (been there). So whenever I go to the grocery store these days, I end up walking out with at least two bunches of kale – enough to last me for a week.
This week’s recipe? Brown rice and kale salad with goat cheese and almonds ???.
There is just something so hearty and satisfying about this salad. You get the fresh, crisp kale, the creamy goat cheese, the soft brown rice, the crunchy almonds, and the perfectly tangy balsamic dijon vinaigrette.
Everything just goes together so wonderfully. This is definitely not your average “light salad that fills you up for twenty minutes” situation. This bowl of healthy goodness will keep you full and satisfied for hours. And you will feel awesome! Like you can go conquer the world. Like you can do a hundred pushups. Like you can clean your whole house.
Maybe not the cleaning the house one. I’m not sure any food or drink on this planet could make that an enjoyable task. If you are one of those people that love cleaning, come find me and make me like you. Please. I’ll feed you kale in return.
Want to know what my favorite part of making this recipe was? When I spilled the entire cup of balsamic dijon dressing on myself right as I was about to start photographing. Had the props set up, the salad set up, the camera set up, and was about to start taking “pour shots” when – BAM – cup of dressing spilled all over my boots and all over my floor.
It’s a lot of dressing, too. AND it was about to get dark outside. I was already pushing my ability to use the natural light from the window before the spill. So by the time I had to scrub off my boot, wipe off the kitchen floor, and REMAKE a new batch of dressing, it was a little dark outside, which made the photography of this yummy salad pretty challenging.
DARN YOU DELICIOUS BALSAMIC DIJON DRESSING. Ugh.
So. In conclusion. Recommended? Making this delicious warm brown rice and kale salad. Not recommended? Spilling a cup of dressing on your shoes right before you are ready to stuff your face with it.
So satisfying, healthy, and delicious ??????.
For you 21 Day Fix people, here are your container amounts:
- 1 green (kale)
- 1 yellow (brown rice)
- 1 blue (goat cheese and almonds)
- 1 orange (dressing)
Click here to see more 21 Day Fix recipes!Print
Warm Brown Rice and Kale Salad with Goat Cheese and Almonds
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 15 mins
- Total Time: 30 mins
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- 4 cups kale (1 bunch) (4 greens)
- 2 cups COOKED brown rice (4 yellows) (I recommend cooking in chicken or veggie stock)
- 1/2 cup goat cheese (2 blues)
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds (2 blues)
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dijon mustard
- 1 clove garlic, grated
- Cook your rice (I use the quick cooking kind to speed things up), or heat up your left over rice
- Remove your kale leaves from the tough, fibrous stems and pile onto your cutting board
- Massage the leaves (like you are kneading bread) for 3-5 minutes (this tenderizes the leaves significantly)
- To a bowl, add your kale and brown rice (still hot/warm from cooking or microwaving), letting them sit together so the hot rice further softens the kale a bit
- Meanwhile, make your dressing
- In a bowl, add your balsamic vinegar, olive oil, dijon mustard, and a grated clove of garlic. Whisk until thoroughly combined and season to taste with salt and pepper
- Add the goat cheese, almonds, and salad dressing to your bowl with the kale and brown rice
- Toss until totally combined and until the dressing has coated everything evenly
- Season to taste with salt and pepper
*This recipe is gluten free*
If you make this or any of my other recipes, be sure to Instagram it and hashtag #thegarlicdiaries!
In the mood for more yummy kale recipes? Check these out: