This dish is as fun to eat as it is to say…goulash. Gouuuulash. It’s just a fun word, am I wrong?! Just say it a few times and you’ll be on board.
The best way to describe this meal is just humble, simple, and good. There are no bells and whistles, no fancy ingredients, not a lot of prep, not a super long cook time – it’s just homey and cozy and simple! And I love that about this meal. Especially because, even though it is simple and easy, it tastes ah-maziiiiing – with a capital “A.”
This meal reminds me of my childhood, not only because I did indeed eat this pretty often growing up, but also because it’s just simple, easy, all-American food…ground beef, tomato-y, meaty broth, and soft macaroni. Does it get any better??
So here’s what we’ve got happening:
- You start out by browning some ground beef and then throwing in some onion, bell pepper, and garlic and cooking until those veggies get nice and soft.
- Then we throw in some canned diced tomatoes + some beef stock and bring that to a simmer.
- Let that simmer for about twenty minutes and then throw in your macaroni. Let your macaroni cook for about ten minutes, until it’s soft and tender.
- Stir in some soy sauce (for an extra punch of savory depth of flavor) and cheddar cheese (because…cheese), and you’re done!
How easy is that? It’s not really a soup or stew…but it’s not really a saucy pasta dish…it’s kind of a mix between the two…it’s goulash – only way to describe it 😌!Print
Super Simple Goulash
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Yield: 8 servings
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 28 oz can diced tomatoes
- 3 cups beef broth
- 8 oz macaroni noodles (about half a box)
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- In a large pot, heat some olive oil over medium high heat. Add your ground beef, season with salt and pepper, and brown
- When browned, add your pepper, onion, and garlic + some salt and pepper. Saute until the veggies start to get soft
- To this, add your diced tomatoes and beef broth + salt and pepper
- Bring to a simmer, turn the heat down to low, and simmer, covered, for twenty minutes
- Stir in your macaroni and simmer/boil for about 10 more minutes, or until the macaroni is tender and cooked through
- Remove from the heat and stir in your soy sauce. Let the goulash cool for a few minutes and then stir in your cheddar cheese. Season to taste with salt and pepper!
- Serving Size: 1 cup
- Calories: 232
- Sugar: 4 g
- Sodium: 689 mg
- Fat: 10 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 18 g
- Fiber: 3 g
- Protein: 18 g
- Cholesterol: 47 mg
If you make this or any of my other recipes, be sure to Instagram it and hashtag #thegarlicdiaries!
In the mood for more yummy one pot meals? Check these out: