You know why I love America?
Because we can throw a few veggies in some pasta and call it “salad.”
True patriotism over here, I know.
And don’t even get me started on potato salad. Potatoes + mayonnaise + mustard = salad. ‘MERICA.
Pasta salad may not be the healthiest salad you can make, but you sure can lighten it up if you smother it with a creamy sauce made with healthy fat.
Blend up a few avocados, some garlic (of course), lemon juice, a touch of basil, and you have a creamy, luxurious sauce that you will dream about for days.
This sauce is just as creamy and delicious as any mayonnaise based sauces that you may have tried before.
And and aaaaand it tastes better too!
And then to make it even better, we throw some fresh corn, tomatoes, and chives on top, mix it together and call it a day.
Your mouth and tummy will be so happy :).
Remember a few posts ago I talked about how ready I am for fall so I can cook and post cozy, comforting fall and winter food? I am still very VERY excited for that day to come, but after my bruschetta on monday, and my summery pasta salad today, I am thinking I might miss some of this summery food just a little bit.
But not enough to make me sad in the least that fall is coming. You should see the recipe note on my phone right now where I keep upcoming blog post ideas…the last third of the items contain one of the following words: pumpkin, stew, crock pot, soup, roasted, baked or casserole.
COME ON FALLLLLLLL.
Hurrrryyyyy (said in whiny voice).
It’s okay. I will patiently wait with my plate full of yummy summer items like bruschetta and pasta salad :).
Now throw out that mayonnaise, buy some avocados, and whip up some of this deliciousness!Print
Pasta Salad with Avocado Cream Sauce
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 10 mins
- Total Time: 25 mins
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- 1/2 box bow tie pasta
- 3 ripe avocados
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 large basil leaf
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice (about one lemon)
- 2 ears of corn
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 2 tablespoons chives, thinly chopped (plus extra for garnish)
- Bring a pot of heavily salted water to a boil (it should taste like the ocean)
- In a food processor, combine your avocados, garlic, basil, and lemon juice
- Pulse until this has combined and then, with the food processor on, drizzle in water until the sauce has reached the consistency you desire (somewhere between 1/2 – 3/4 cups water)
- Season to taste with salt and pepper. Set the sauce aside
- Brush your corn with olive oil, sprinkle with salt and pepper, and cook over a grill pan (or actual grill) until the kernels are tender
- Chop your cherry tomatoes into quarters
- When your pasta is done cooking, drain it in a colander and run the pasta under cold water until it is completely cool
- Place the pasta in a bowl and top with the avocado sauce (you might have a decent amount of sauce left over – it depends how saucy or dry you prefer your pasta salad)
- Remove the corn kernels from the ears using a knife, and add the corn to the pasta salad along with the cherry tomatoes and chives
- Season to taste with salt and pepper
If you make this or any of my other recipes, be sure to Instagram it and hashtag #thegarlicdiaries!
In the mood for more yummy pasta dishes? Check these out: