Okay, wait. Wait, wait, and wait. Have you ever tried a wedge of apple that is topped with a slice of cheddar cheese? Have you?? If not – Ima need you to add apples and cheddar cheese to your grocery list so you can experience this snack. If you’ve never heard of this, this probably sounds gross and crazy and weird to you. But, lemme tell ya, friends. IT IS SO WEIRDLY GOOD.
Such a strange pairing of flavors. Like, who thought to try that first? Like let’s just pop some cheese onto this apple and give it a go…? Whatever the reason, thank you, adventurous stranger, for discovering this most delicious flavor combo that led to this most delicious soup.
This soup is creamy, it is cheesy, it is apple-y (totes got lazy with that invented adjective), and it is everything that you need this fall and winter season. Would I lie to you?
Important requirement for this recipe: MUST BE EATEN with buttery, toasty, crusty bread. Not like a slice from your sandwich loaf that you popped in the toaster. No – like, a loaf of french bread (or another legit kind) that is smothered with butter and baked in the oven.
It’s not “needed” for this soup to be delicious, but oh my LANTA – it takes it to the next level, friends. Next. Level. Good.
Let’s talk deets:
- First you’re going to saute some shallot and garlic in a big soup pot. Already starting with beautiful things here…shallots are life. And, garlic? Check the blog title, yo.
- Then we throw in some apples. A mix of tart and sweet (like always) for some yummy depth of flavor.
- Add some veggie stock and a bay leaf, simmer until the apples are nice and tender, and puree until super smooth.
- Throw in your cheddar cheese, stir the soup until everything is nice and melty and perfect, and you’re DONE.
So easy, right? So easy and fast.
Make that bread with it, peeps. Do it!Print
Apple Cheddar Soup
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 15 mins
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 5 servings
- 1 shallot, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 apples, peeled and diced (2 sweet and 2 tart – we used a mix of honey crisp and granny smith)
- 3 cups veggie stock
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- In a large pot over medium heat, add some olive oil + your shallot and garlic. Season with salt and pepper and saute until softened
- Add your apples, veggie stock, and bay leaf. Season with salt and pepper and bring to a simmer
- Simmer for about 10 minutes or until the apples are very tender when pierced with a knife
- Remove the bay leaf and puree with an immersion blender (stick blender) until the soup is totally smooth
- Stir in your cheddar cheese until melted, season to taste with salt and pepper, and serve!
If you don’t have an immersion blender, blending this in a regular blender or food processor in batches will work just as well!
This is super yummy when served with crusty, toasty, buttery bread!
- Serving Size: 1 cup
- Calories: 200
- Sugar: 13 g
- Sodium: 421 mg
- Fat: 11 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 19 g
- Fiber: 3 g
- Protein: 9 g
- Cholesterol: 36 mg
If you make this or any of my other recipes, be sure to Instagram it and hashtag #thegarlicdiaries.
In the mood for more yummy soups? Check these out: