Oh. My. Gosh. Listen to me right now. I have instructions for you. Stand up, get in your car, drive to the nearest grocery store, buy a whole grain baguette, goat cheese, peaches, and basil, go home, and MAKE THESE RIGHT THIS SECOND.
You guys. It is not often that I lose my mind this much over a recipe. Yes, I only post things on here that I love, love, looooovveee, but there are only a handful of recipes that are so good that I want to run around my house cheering. And this is one of them.
Peaches…goat cheese….basil…toast…why? Why is it so good? What happened? I don’t know. I can’t explain these things. I am convinced that goat cheese, basil, and peaches are one of those classic combinations that is just undiscovered. Like pork and apples, citrus and fish (WHY AM I HAVING SUCH A HARD TIME THINKING OF OTHER FAMOUS CLASSIC COMBINATIONS??? #strug), etc…
Let’s just chat about these for a minute.
Bottom layer: perfectly toasted whole wheat bread that has been brushed with olive oil and baked to slightly crunchy perfection.
Second layer: creamy goat cheese spread across the baked, toasted bread.
Third layer: a slice of peach – not too thick, not too thin – maybe a little less than an inch?
Fourth layer: sliced basil.
Fifth “layer” (not sure I would technically consider this a layer, but we’re goin’ with it): black pepper – this step adds more than you think! Depth and complexity, people. Lay-as of flavaaa.
These layers come together to form LITERALLY the most perfect bite that has ever existed EVER. It is crunchy, creamy, bright, peppery, sweet, tangy, herby – it is everything. Foods that form “the perfect bite” are so much fun to eat (like sushi!).
In conclusion…MAKE THESE RIGHT NOW. Or I will come find you. And force you to make them. And then once you make them, I will put all of them in a tupperware and hit the road. Don’t worry – I’ll leave you one. If you want to avoid this interaction, make them now.
You better believe I will be making these any time I am signed up to bring an appetizer to anything for the REST OF MY LIFE. Word.
On another note – Ike update! Well, it’s not much of an update. Just a little one. I am going to bring him home for a trial week! It will either start in the middle of next week or the beginning of the week after that. Basically one of two things will happen that week:
- Boone and Ike will keep themselves super entertained all day, play, and destroy nothing in my house. Boone only becomes destructive and chewy (is that a word? We’re going to go with yes) when he is bored out of his mind, SOOOO I am hoping that the fact that they are there to entertain each other and play will keep the destruction to a minimum.
- They will join together to form one massive tornado of K-9 destruction, and I will come home to a house that is torn to shreds.
I REALLY hope number one is what happens, because I am already so smitten with this sweet boy.
At this point, there is really only one thing I can do. Make three more batches of these peach, basil, and goat cheese toasts and contemplate my situation and the possible outcomes. Wouldn’t you agree? I knew you would! You da best.
For you 21 Day Fix people, here are your container amounts:
- 1/2 blue (goat cheese)
- 1 yellow (bread)
- 1/4 purple (peaches)
- 1 teaspoon (olive oil)
*The basil is “free”*
Click here to see more 21 Day Fix recipes!
- 1 whole wheat baguette (you will need 8 slices, each about ¾ inch thick)
- 4 teaspoons olive oil
- ½ cup goat cheese
- sliced basil, about 8 leaves
- 1 peach
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees
- Brush each slice of bread with ½ teaspoon of olive oil (about ¼ teaspoon on each side)
- Bake for 5 minutes, turn, bake for another 3 minutes (you may need less or more time - just bake until golden brown on both sides)
- Spread 1 tablespoon of goat cheese onto each slice of bread
- Top with one slice of peach (each slice of peach should be a little less than one inch thick - about the same thickness of the bread slices)
- Sprinkle the sliced basil over top (if you want, you can put the basil under the peaches so it stays on better - it just looks a little less pretty!)
- Top each toast with a little black pepper
Nutrition information is for 2 toasts:
If you make this or any of my other recipes, be sure to Instagram it and hashtag #thegarlicdiaries!
In the mood for more yummy appetizers? Check these out: