Staaahhhppp I’m in love.
So obsessed with this chicken. This is seriously the EASIEST recipe ever, yet it yields probably the most flavorful and moist chicken I have ever eaten in my life. Again…I’m obsessed.
You know how sometimes when you cook just meat (rather than soups/stews/etc…) in a Crock-Pot, it turns out pretty dry? Tender, yes – but also dry! It makes me sad when this happens. I was concerned that would be the result of this chicken but hoped that transferring it back into the sauce after shredding would fix this potential issue.
Ohhhhhhhhh MY GOSH, it is not dry at all. It is moist and succulent and flavorful and perfect and everything that equals happiness in life. This BBQ Chicken = my world. I am shameless in my obsession. JUDGE ME, I DON’T CARE. Just kidding…but really.
Oh…don’t mind me. I am just drooling on my keyboard over here.
I am actually very surprised how BOMB this recipe turned out to be. I mean, I thought it would be tasty because…well, BBQ sauce. It’s just good. But I never expected it to be so amazing. This is seriously one of my favorite things I have ever posted on The Garlic Diaries.
Okay so let’s talk about what makes this chicken so painfully delicious.
- The sauce. You start with a base of BBQ sauce and amp it up a little. I always use Sweet Baby Rays as my BBQ sauce…it is so, so, so good. I’m not even sure I could make a better homemade version. Start with a good base BBQ sauce and you are setting yourself up for deliciousness.
- The sauce-y add ins. Brown sugar. Apple cider vinegar. Onion powder. So simple right? Simple, yes, but absolutely mouthwatering. Whisk these three extra goodies into your base BBQ sauce before letting everything cook away for several hours.
- The chicken. If you think your BBQ sauce is good before, just wait until it cooks together with the chicken for four hours in the Crock-Pot. So much flavor development going on here…so…much…flavor…development. ????.
So after four hours of sauce-y, simmer-y, BBQ-y, chicken-y goodness, you pull your chicken breasts out, shred the meat, and stir everything back together in the Crock-Pot.
And then take a bite and go cry in the corner because you are overwhelmed with emotion from the flavor explosion that just assaulted your taste buds.
I’m telling you guys…it doesn’t get any better than this chicken. It just doesn’t. If you are one of those families that buys a lot of chicken (because hellooooo…SUPA cheap) but is so sick of doing the same thing over and over again, this is the ultimate recipe for you. Super, SUPER easy, and absolutely mouthwateringly delicious.
There are many things you can do with the finished chicken:
- Eat it totally plain with a side (veggies? Salad? Whatevs). This is probably my personal fave just because I am so obsessed with the chicken – I don’t want any other flavors or textures taking away from its awesomeness.
- On a salad.
- On a sandwich (second fave. Toasted potato bun [doesn’t have to be potato…but yum], coleslaw, chicken…YAS).
- In a wrap
- In a quesadilla (kind of like this!!!)
- With your fingers straight from the tupperware in your fridge (um…yeah. That happened).
Me + this chicken = ❤️ 4eva.
- 4 pounds chicken breasts
- 3 cups BBQ sauce (I highly recommend Sweet Baby Ray's)
- ⅓ cup brown sugar
- ⅓ cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- In a Crock-Pot, whisk together the BBQ sauce, apple cider vinegar, brown sugar, and onion powder
- Add the chicken breasts, and toss/flip until all the chicken breasts are liberally coated in BBQ sauce
- Turn the Crock-Pot on low and cook for 4 hours
- When the 4 hours are up, remove the chicken breasts from the Crock-Pot and shred using 2 forks
- Add the meat back into the BBQ sauce in the Crock-Pot and stir until the chicken is all evenly coated
*This recipe is gluten free*
If you make this or any of my other recipes, be sure to Instagram it and hashtag #thegarlicdiaries!
In the mood for more yummy BBQ recipes? Check these out: