Okay…once again I am SO far behind on this post. I am sorry!
I hate not being consistent about posting and I never want people to wonder “where the heck did she go?”
If you read my last post (on April 30th…whoops), you know how crazy this week has been for me!
So far, since that last post, I drove to Atlanta, flew to Charlotte, flew to Denver, and flew back to Charlotte to help my mom film her kickstarter video for her business. It was a great weekend and everything turned out AMAZING. Not to mention I got (and am still getting) wonderful time with my sweet niece, Elise.
I will post a few pictures from that weekend in my next post. Spoiler…they are of the cutest baby ever.
I am in Washington now (we flew here early this morning), so I am going to try my best to keep posting while I am here! If I fall behind again, I will be back home on Saturday and promise to stick to my usual every other day schedule then :).
So aaaaanyway…these Caprese Bites.
Once you taste them you will forgive me for my lateness.
They. Are. So. Good.
Everyone LOVED them, and they completely and totally define the meaning of “a perfect bite.”
The juicy tomatoes, soft creamy mozzarella cheese, fresh basil, and sweet, sticky, garlicy balsamic reduction…oh man. My mouth is watering just thinking about it.
Caprese salad is one of my favorite salads in the world. These cute little bites hold true to the traditional flavors of Caprese salad with one delicious twist – the balsamic reduction. I’m not sure who first decided to simmer balsamic vinegar and see what happens…but I would love to meet them and give them a big hug. Because they discovered something aaaahhhhh-mazing.
Reducing the balsamic takes out a lot of that sharp, vinegar flavor and balances it out with sweetness. The thick, syrupy texture of the reduction allows the sauce to stick to the tomatoes and cheese rather than drizzling right off and pooling on the plate.
And to add even more complexity and deliciousness to this perfect appetizer, we add a clove of crushed garlic to the balsamic as it’s reducing which just adds an extra note of flavor and makes it even more awesome…if that is even possible.
Seriously guys…I’m telling you. These are SO GOOD. Trust me! Not to mention they are crazy, crazy, crazy easy to make. I love it when a dish is this easy to make but also contains the perfect balance of flavors.
And they are preeeeetty.
Here is the recipe!
- 20-25 mozzarella balls (8 oz container)
- 10-15 cherry (grape) tomatoes, sliced in half
- 10-15 basil leaves
- ½ cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 clove of garlic, peeled and crushed
- For the balsamic reduction:
- Add the vinegar and crushed garlic to a small pan and bring to a simmer
- Let the vinegar and garlic simmer for 5-10 minutes, until the reduction thickens and resembles the texture of a syrup
- For the salad bites:
- Cut the tomatoes in half
- Slice the basil leaves in half unless they are small leaves so the basil doesn't overpower the other flavors in the bite
- On each toothpick, add one half of a cherry (or grape) tomato, the basil (folded in half so it doesn't stick out too far) and one ball of mozzarella
- Repeat until all the bites are done and place them on a plate or tray
- Season all of them with salt and pepper, and drizzle a liberal amount of balsamic reduction on top
If you make this or any of my other recipes, make sure to Instagram it and hashtag #thegarlicdiaries!
Want more yummy appetizer recipes? Check these out!